1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Unable to get sql buffer facility

Discussion in 'SQL PL/SQL' started by Aruna Sameera, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Aruna Sameera

Aruna Sameera Active Member

i tried with below commands to test sql buffer in sqlplus. My DB is Oracle 11gR2.
    List
    Run

above command does not give me any output?

2. krasnoslobodtsev_si

krasnoslobodtsev_si Forum Genius

The SQL Buffer

The SQL buffer stores the most recently entered SQL command or PL/SQL block (but not SQL*Plus commands). The command or block remains in the buffer until replaced by the next SQL command or PL/SQL block. You can view the buffer contents with the LIST command.

You can execute the command or block in the SQL buffer using the RUN or /(slash) commands. RUN displays the command or block in the buffer before executing it. /(slash) executes the command or block in the buffer without displaying it first. For information about editing a command or block stored in the buffer see Editing Scripts in SQL*Plus Command-Line.

SQL*Plus does not store SQL*Plus commands, or the semicolon or slash characters you type to execute a command in the SQL buffer.

Sadik likes this.
  3. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

If you don't put anything into the buffer you get nothing OUT of the buffer. Select statements, PL/SQL code, DML and DDL statements are kept in the buffer once they are entered. Since you wrote no select statement there is nothing in the buffer to list or run.