1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Table partition

Discussion in 'SQL PL/SQL' started by Vamsi Sanku, Jun 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Vamsi Sanku

Vamsi Sanku Starter

I have a requirement of partitioning a table first on region_id column then after sub partition by year column and then by month column.How to do this three level partition on a table.
    I am thankful to any suggestions to achieve this requirement.

2. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

3. krasnoslobodtsev_si

krasnoslobodtsev_si Forum Genius

What is the amount of data per month and per year ?What queries will be run : selection by year/region month/region by region ?

May be helpful:
    1) Partitioning
    2) Example of partitioning

4. Vamsi Sanku

Vamsi Sanku Starter

Thanks for your reply Krasnoslobodtsev

Table contains 30 Million records (approx).From Oracle doc i can do only two level partition like partition on year and then sub-partition on month or partition on region and sub-partition on year or partition on region and sub partition on year_month column. But what i am trying to do is to create main partition on region and then i want to create two sub-partition levels by year and by month, simply i want to create two sub-partitions.Is it possible for creating two sub-partition levels ?

Regards
    Vamsi

5. krasnoslobodtsev_si

krasnoslobodtsev_si Forum Genius

There are only two levels of partition : partition and sub-partition.If you select an incorrect partitioning keys, we will get inefficient model( for example - too many small segments). I believe that maybe in your case, to partition the table by month(interval) and it is possible to create a local index on the region.