1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Installtion problem pl/sql v11g xe

Discussion in 'SQL PL/SQL' started by saj1011, Oct 10, 2018 at 10:17 AM.

1. saj1011

saj1011 Starter

hi,

i downloaded the v11g xe for testing purposes, however it will not log in to the new database upon loading the "start database", it brings up the small black screen and simply says C:\Windows\system32>

i am running windows 10 and downloaded the x64 version,

so please tell me how to launch the database past the initial command screen.

thanks

2. saj1011

saj1011 Starter

edit further, i get the command prompt screen on "start database", however how do i laucnh the gui_
    thanks

3. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

You do realize that Version 11 is 3major releases behind? Does your computer meet the minimum requirements for the installation? You should be checking the installation guide and pre-installation checklist to make sure you're not trying to 'put an elephant into a dog house.' That you only see a command prompt clearly shows something is wrong with the installation.

Check the documents listed then, if your computer DOES meet the minimum requirements come back with a bit more detail.

4. saj1011

saj1011 Starter

i am runnng win10, with laptop that supports all the min requirements i reckon, 300+ gb hd free, 4gb ram and intel n3540 duo cpu's, compaq 15 notebook. this is an older laptop i am aware but is just for testing and training, but the pl/sql version is the version requested from the course i am doing.

under programs when i select the start database, it only brings up the command prompt, i was then thinking that the GUI is launched from the sqlplus cmd...so i am currently stuck.

thanks

5. saj1011

saj1011 Starter

further it would appear the "get started" link will not connect via mz browser also for address 127.0.0.1:8080/apex/f

i get msg in opera saying this site cannot be reached.

6. zargon

GUIs are never launched from the sqlplus.exe command. You need to check the shortcut created to see what it's actually running.

You give very little useful information about this issue, and it would appear that the installation didn't complete successfully. You have checked the installation logs?

7. zargon

No, and it's not designed to.

8. saj1011

saj1011 Starter

so basically i want to do this course to run scripts and practice dba type role. from udemy.com "learn oracle pl/sql - a comprehensive guide", is 11gxe not suitable?

thanks

9. zargon

Why did you choose version 11 XE when any database release is available , for single-user use without cost, from www.oracle.com? You should download a full copy of the database to use.

10. saj1011

saj1011 Starter

it is what the guy said to do on the course.

11. saj1011

saj1011 Starter

this is all i want to achieve, see attached, to get the app running on my laptop so i can follow my course.
    i have no idea what i am doing wrong!

the sqlplus works, as does the weblink to online version, but i want to use the desktop version.

please help

Attached Files:

• o1.jpg
      o1.jpg
      File size:
      46.3 KB
      Views:
  12. zargon

Then you contact 'the guy in the course' to see what may be wrong. You have no information on HOW you installed this version, no installation logs, no error text, nothing that could assist someone here in helping you.

You need to post the pre-installation requirements and information PROVING your computer meets or exceeds them.