1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Get column names from multiple views using pl/sql

Discussion in 'SQL PL/SQL' started by Sparamanga, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Sparamanga

Sparamanga Active Member

Hi,

I was trying to retrieve all the columns names from over 100 different views in an oracle database earlier today. I wasn't quite sure how to do it, so to save time I used query to get all the view names, then simply wrote a query that selected the view_name and column names from all views where view_name in (list of views).

I was thinking about writing looping through all the view_names in the database and for each iteration storing the column_names in a variable and the outputting this to the screen.

As each view can have differing number of columns though would I have to store the column names in a record variable?

Then how would I retrieve the column names for each view name stored in this record variable?

Am I taking the right approach?

Thanks,

Rob.

2. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

3. Sparamanga

Sparamanga Active Member

Ok thanks Zargon. I'll have a look into collections and will let you know how I get on :)

4. Sparamanga

Sparamanga Active Member

Hi Zargon,

I had a look at collections. Would I need to use an associative array?

I understand you define your own variable type and declare a variable using that type to be utilised in the array as in..

Code (SQL):

DECLARE

TYPE my_holder IS TABLE OF VARCHAR2(50) INDEX BY VARCHAR2(50);
    my_variable my_holder;
    But I need to have each view name as the index of the array, and then for each index i need to have multiple values for the different columns names.

The examples i have been reading so far assign a single value to each index name.

If i had one index called -rob_view_1 for instance and I wanted to assign the column names rob_col_1, rob_col_2, rob_col_3 to this one index is that possible?

Or is that what is know as a multi-dimensional array?

Thanks,

Rob.

5. Sparamanga

Sparamanga Active Member

There is a simple way for me to achieve the results I need..

SELECT TABLE_NAME, COLUMN_NAME FROM ALL_TAB_COLUMNS
    WHERE TABLE_NAME
    IN (
    SELECT VIEW_NAME FROM ALL_VIEWS WHERE OWNER='ROB1'
    )

But as I have been trying to do it with PL/SQL for the last few hours, I will continue!

6. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

You should use a varray; look at the third example in the post that uses the dfarray type as it should give you an idea of how to do this.