1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Do we need cold backups -before patching using online patching (using adop)

Discussion in 'System Administration & Application DBA' started by Dunstan Eranga, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Dunstan Eranga

Dunstan Eranga Starter

I have installed oracle application 12.2.5 with Database 12.1.2 On oracle linux 7.2 , I have used startCD51

My installation was successful and it was confirmed by oracle support.

Then i have move to the post installation Task on 1320300.1. And i am on following task.

2.3 Apply the latest AD and TXK Release Update Pack for Release 12.2

While applying the patch using following command

adop phase=apply patches=21841299 hotpatch=yes

Unfortunately patch was hang fore long time, this is my first 12.2 installation. So i have check the worker log files.

then i saw two workers are having following error

Exception in thread "main" java.sql.SQLSyntaxErrorException: ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_SESSION", line 122

ORA-06512: at "APPS.AD_ZD_CTX", line 13

ORA-06512: at line 1

at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CTTIoer.processError(T4CTTIoer.java:462)

at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CTTIoer.processError(T4CTTIoer.java:405)

at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4C8Oall.processError(T4C8Oall.java:931)

at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CTTIfun.receive(T4CTTIfun.java:481)

at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CTTIfun.doRPC(T4CTTIfun.java:205)

at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4C8Oall.doOALL(T4C8Oall.java:548)

at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CPreparedStatement.doOall8(T4CPreparedStatement.java:217)

at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CPreparedStatement.executeForRows(T4CPreparedStatement.java:1115)

at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatement.doExecuteWithTimeout(OracleStatement.java:1488)

at oracle.jdbc.driver.OraclePreparedStatement.executeInternal(OraclePreparedStatement.java:3769)

at oracle.jdbc.driver.OraclePreparedStatement.execute(OraclePreparedStatement.java:3954)

at oracle.jdbc.driver.OraclePreparedStatementWrapper.execute(OraclePreparedStatementWrapper.java:1539)

at oracle.apps.ad.worker.AdJavaWorker.getAppsConnection(AdJavaWorker.java:1063)

at oracle.apps.ad.worker.AdJavaWorker.main(AdJavaWorker.java:278)

Since patch was hanging for long time i have used adctrl to exit the workers

then i have raise SR with support.

we try to restart the patching process and it's not working

After Analyzing the issue Support eng has explained that there's data corruption and need to restore the system through backups .

Since i am new to 12,2 , i thought we should not need to take backups before online patching ??

Does Any one face this kind of issue

If we need backup before online patching !!! what is the concept of online patching all about

Still support is checking the possibility of sorting the issue with out Any backups.

this is what metalink support has explained

Hello Dear,

Why did you manually interrupt the ADOP utility using adctrl , followed which note? It is online patching , not adpatch.

Now the error/issue is clear there is a data corruption in the adop tables, the newly copied files are having some references to the DB object which is not yet created by last failed HOT patch, it will always failed with same error

As a support engineer and base on my research I would like to say it's just common sense to keep backups of your system and there is no supported way to fix the issue:

This has been discussed in Bug 21802095 - qrep1225.12:.ader:adop does not work as expected on rerun of ad delta on hotpatch.

This is what Support people tells about the issue

2. Dunstan Eranga

Dunstan Eranga Starter

This question is Not Answered.(Mark as assumed answered)

[​IMG][​IMG]
    3265587 Oct 20, 2016 6:30 AM
    I have installed oracle application 12.2.5 with Database 12.1.2 On oracle linux 7.2 , I have used startCD51

My installation was successful and it was confirmed by oracle support.

Then i have move to the post installation Task on 1320300.1. And i am on following task.

2.3 Apply the latest AD and TXK Release Update Pack for Release 12.2

While applying the patch using following command

adop phase=apply patches=21841299 hotpatch=yes

Unfortunately patch was hang fore long time, this is my first 12.2 installation. So i have check the worker log files.

then i saw two workers are having following error

Exception in thread "main" java.sql.SQLSyntaxErrorException: ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_SESSION", line 122

ORA-06512: at "APPS.AD_ZD_CTX", line 13

ORA-06512: at line 1

at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CTTIoer.processError(T4CTTIoer.java:462)

at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CTTIoer.processError(T4CTTIoer.java:405)

at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4C8Oall.processError(T4C8Oall.java:931)

at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CTTIfun.receive(T4CTTIfun.java:481)

at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CTTIfun.doRPC(T4CTTIfun.java:205)

at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4C8Oall.doOALL(T4C8Oall.java:548)

at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CPreparedStatement.doOall8(T4CPreparedStatement.java:217)

at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CPreparedStatement.executeForRows(T4CPreparedStatement.java:1115)

at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatement.doExecuteWithTimeout(OracleStatement.java:1488)

at oracle.jdbc.driver.OraclePreparedStatement.executeInternal(OraclePreparedStatement.java:3769)

at oracle.jdbc.driver.OraclePreparedStatement.execute(OraclePreparedStatement.java:3954)

at oracle.jdbc.driver.OraclePreparedStatementWrapper.execute(OraclePreparedStatementWrapper.java:1539)

at oracle.apps.ad.worker.AdJavaWorker.getAppsConnection(AdJavaWorker.java:1063)

at oracle.apps.ad.worker.AdJavaWorker.main(AdJavaWorker.java:278)

Since patch was hanging for long time i have used adctrl to exit the workers

then i have raise SR with support.

we try to restart the patching process and it's not working

After Analyzing the issue Support eng has explained that there's data corruption and need to restore the system through backups .

Since i am new to 12,2 , i thought we should not need to take backups before online patching ??

Does Any one face this kind of issue

If we need backup before online patching !!! what is the concept of online patching all about

Still support is checking the possibility of sorting the issue with out Any backups.
    Following is what oracle support saying

Hello Dear,

Why did you manually interrupt the ADOP utility using adctrl , followed which note? It is online patching , not adpatch.

Now the error/issue is clear there is a data corruption in the adop tables, the newly copied files are having some references to the DB object which is not yet created by last failed HOT patch, it will always failed with same error

As a support engineer and base on my research I would like to say it's just common sense to keep backups of your system and there is no supported way to fix the issue:

This has been discussed in Bug 21802095 - qrep1225.12:.ader:adop does not work as expected on rerun of ad delta on hotpatch.

This is what Support people tells about the issue

Eranga

3. Manoj Siripuram

Manoj Siripuram Starter