1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Copy oracle 12c database to another machine

Discussion in 'Installation - Windows' started by Jrdnoland, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Jrdnoland

Jrdnoland Newly Initiated

My work computer has a Oracle 12c server set up that contains data for our LIMS application. I'm trying to make a copy of this complete database, which I have full access to, and replicate its structure and data on my home computer.

I have used dbForge Studio for Oracle to export all the data to Excel files.

On my Home computer I installed Oracle 12c Home version.

I can't seem to find step by step instructions of how to make this happen, at least ones that I can understand and follow.

What steps can I take to make this happen? Free tools, tutorials, instructions?

Thanks!

2. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

"I have used dbForge Studio for Oracle to export all the data to Excel files."

Why? Data pump is designed for this task, if you have access to copy files why are you not familiar with data pump? Use expdp to export the entire database to one or more dump files (there are PLENTY of websites that show how to do this) then transfer the .dmp files to a flash drive so you can import them into your local database.

3. Jrdnoland

I do not have a local database, I was hoping to make one from the remote server database and then import the data to it.

4. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

With the tools that you're using there is no chance of that succeeding. You need to use the Database Configuration Assistant to create a new database for you on your computer. Once that's done you will then need to export the database from the source server and transfer the resulting .dmp file to your computer, where you will use Data Pump import to create the users and tables and load the data. There are no shortcuts to this given that your database is on Windows and the source database most likely is on UNIX or Linux. The following links will guide you:

Create the database --
    https://www.dummies.com/programming...stant-dbca-to-create-databases-in-oracle-12c/

Export the data --

Import the data --
    How to import an Oracle database from dmp file and log file ...https://stackoverflow.com/.../how-to-import-an-oracle-database-from-dmp-file-and-lo...

5. Jrdnoland

Thank you for taking the time to put this together. I will give it a try this weekend.