1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Any demand for part-time freelance oracle pl/sql programmers?

Discussion in 'Jobs Board' started by aegis, Oct 26, 2016.

1. aegis

aegis Newly Initiated

Hi everyone,

I'm a CPA and I work in financial reporting for a large corporation that uses R12. I previously worked in public accounting as an auditor and I had clients that required me to query their database to get the information I needed to conduct the audits of multiple entities. So, although I was a financial statement auditor as opposed to an IT auditor, I had some exposure to SQL.

Anyway, I'm kind of bored with my job and I've been looking for some ways to make extra money on the side. Is it feasible for an accountant to learn PL/SQL and earn some extra money bidding on jobs on freelance sites? Or is the learning curve too steep? Any other suggestions?

2. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

Since I don't know your experience level with Oracle it's difficult to say just how difficult it will be for you to learn how to program with PL/SQL. PL/SQL is different from SQL and SQL*Plus so you can't really compare the two. You should start reading here:

https://docs.oracle.com/cloud/latest/db112/LNPLS/toc.htm

to understand what PL/SQL is. Another good resource is:

http://www.stevenfeuerstein.com/learn/learn-plsql

After going through those you should be able to make your own assessment as to your skills and proficiency. Only then will you be able to decide if you understand enough to take side jobs.

3. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

Yes of course. In my experience the best way to learn something is through implementation.

Here's what I would do if I were in your shoes.

I would think of an interesting PL/SQL project with real world requirement. For example designing the entire Database schema and implementing it for an e-commerce platform. So my goals would be to create the DB system of an e-commerce store. I would start by defining the required tables, triggers, procedures etc. I would consider all the possible transactions, their performance etc. I would then start a Blog (I will tell you why below) and document my entire learning process.

Once I progress and am able to finish the implementation, I would make the entire schema, tables structures, code etc everything available online for free on my blog and post it wherever I can for free... Yeah you read that right. Put my entire work (let's say it takes 3 months for this) for free wherever I can, like say stackoverflow, github etc and every other site which lets you post projects and scripts.

So let's say after 3-6 months of following the above, 1> You have learnt the basics of implementation, and b> created a large volume of "social proof" that you are an expert in PL/SQL. (Even though you may not be technically an expert yet).

Then I would sign up on upwork.com and search for PL/SQL projects which I find interesting or which may pay well. In my proposal the client, I would point to my Blog, my Github and other code as proof of my expertise.

If you do all of the above right, you will within the next few months not only learn what you want but also finally win decent projects with which you can earn and further your learning. Over time, as your experience grows you can aim for higher paying, more complex projects.

Hope this helps... :)