1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Windows 2008 and 15 terabyte production database advice.

Discussion in 'Installation - Windows' started by Jim371, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Jim371

Jim371 Active Member

Hi All,

I am looking for advice. Is there any reason(s) why I would, or would not want to run a large (15tb) production datamart database on a windows 2008 64bit OS server? Oracle version will be 11.2.03. Database is currently installed on red hat linux rel 5, 2 node RAC cluster, Oracle version 11.1.0.7 - Hardware is very old and we are looking to upgrade. New server does not have to be RAC.

Thanks in Advance.

2. krasnoslobodtsev_si

krasnoslobodtsev_si Forum Genius

Hi.

Briefly it is possible to tell so:
    Choice of the New platform, platform change, etc. - very capacious question.

For a right choice it is necessary to analyze different indexes: the equipment cost, software cost, possession cost, transition time on a new platform, etc.

To evaluate results of tests of this platform on volumes of a database of the close to yours.

To give these indexes for other platforms, i.e. the alternative of decisions.
    If you have many factors speaking against a platform choice on WinServ, then these all indexes will create some group of risk.

It can be used as the main argument for search of other decisions.

Note: As a rule for VLDB the win platform don't use

3. Jim371

Jim371 Active Member

Thank you Sergey, Your comments are very insightful.

We have just received a new element of risk - a "politically connected" architect who believes putting this database on windows will improve performance. I am now hoping someone may be able to provide a compelling reason why using windows is not a good idea. I only have this quote from a senior dba and as of now it is not enough to approach senior management.

"When I left last night the Oracle database configuration job was running and created a database on Windows file system. I’m now de installing that database as after further discussion with Nimble it’s been recommended that we create multiple disk and install with Oracle ASM file system support. We don’t currently have any experience with Oracle ASM on MS Windows Server 2008 so this will be a learn as we go experience."

Note: - Nimble is San storage, an EMC competitor.

4. krasnoslobodtsev_si

krasnoslobodtsev_si Forum Genius

Jim371, I will tell briefly...

Install a database on ASM it doesn't mean that it is possible to receive productivity improving, taking into account specifics of an operating system....

ASM is a specific system.
    As well as any difficult system has a row of the features: in setup, support, etc. taking into account specifics of an operating system.

All depended from needs and opportunities.
    If it is necessary reliability, scalability, controllability is necessary, then it is better смотретьв the side of external arrays: EMC, Sun, HP... etc

for example : http://dbaora.com/install-oracle-11g-11-2-0-3-on-windows/
    http://oracledba.bigresource.com/In...bit-windows-installation-error-A3maXk3eq.html

5. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

ASM on Windows shouldn't be difficult to install and basically configure; if you use external redundancy (relying on the storage array for disk mirroring) it should be straightforward. It does give the advantage of overall easier file maintenance (using Oracle Managed Files) and does allow you to get away from internal disks and the possible performance problems they can create.