1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Which is better ECM10gr3 or ECM11g?

Discussion in 'Oracle Webcenter Suite (formerly Oracle ECM)' started by guptaashu81, Feb 18, 2011.

1. guptaashu81

guptaashu81 Active Member

I need the comparison study from harware and Software point of view for ECM10gr3 and ECM11g.
    Details like Web server used, SSO integration , LDAP integration , Support period for both , HArdware Restiction etc.
    What the cost difference among the two and whats the cost of upgration?

2. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

Better is a very loose term. I am presuming you mean UCM 10gR3 and UCM 11g. Generally speaking, 11g resolves a lot of compatibility issues of earlier versions.

3. guptaashu81

That Right, Client need a comparison between ECM10gr3 Suite and ECM 11 g Suite. Moreover as UOA is not shipped with ECM 11g then how to achieve the functionality of UOA and Email Archiving services , If cleint is going for ECM11g. I am searching a lot on Oracle UOA but still not able to understand what exactly is the functionality of UOA as compared to UCM. Please share the link for the comparison between (1) ECM10gr3 and ECM11g (2)UCM and UOA.

4. ericb

ericb Active Member

Hi,

It might be important what the goal is for using UOA and what the goal is for using UCM11g. As Sadik said, UCM11g has solved a lot of issues. But it also has become a more muture product. Stellent 7 was the product called when owner by Stellent, after that Oracle bought the product and renamed it Oracle UCM 10gR3. Now 11g is a big step forward. No more apache but the Oracle Weblogic server, new Oracle database (11gR2) and new Oracle UCM11g. It is all better integrated with each other and it makes it even better suitable handling large capacities of data. And off course, in the line of Oracle tradition, a lot more expensive.

I was alway under the impression that UOA was meant for large archives which won't be used a lot. While UCM11g is more meant for regular search and retrieval of content.

Or in a more document life cycle way:
    1. active content: scanned with Oracle Forms Recognition or Document Capture, than validated by business using Image & process Management, finally archived in UCM
    2. static content: searching and retrieving content in UCM using backend apps like E-Business Suite, SAP, Siebel, Peoplesoft or UCM interface
    3. archived content: moving content to Universal Online Archive, using Universal Records Management or Retention Management to determine time to move content from ucm to uoa.

You might call someone at Oracle to tell you more on the difference between UCM and UOA. I am an independent ECM consultant so I can not help you there.

I have seen enough of Oracle UCM11g to say that if there is no clear reason to use UCM10Gr3 and you have the money for it, you should always start with UCM11g.

I hope my answers is somewhat of a help for you.

Sadik likes this.
  5. guptaashu81

For the statement -

" archived content: moving content to Universal Online Archive, using Universal Records Management or Retention Management to determine time to move content from ucm to uoa "

DO this mean we have link between UCM and UOA.
    Using records management component in UCM , and creating Retention Policy for records can we archieve the records into UOA. If such is a scenario then I am getting confused as Why I got reply from Oracle Support the UCM and UOA are linked up or there is no integration between two.

I need more clarification on UOA part and Email Archiving Solution.

6. ericb

ericb Active Member

Hi,

after your reply, I have done some searching on the Oracle website and other sites. I have also asked someone who is more in Oracle products at functional level (and also not an Oracle employee).

If I am correct, Oracle Universal Online Archive in combination with E-Mail archiving is somewhat end of life. Oracle is now putting UCM11g in the spotlights, with secure files option in the database for better archiving and retrieving data, and e-mail archiving through Oracle Captivation (so called Import Server component) or e-mail archiving in combination with ZL Technologies (http://www.zlti.com/) products.

UCM with Records Management and Retention Management is to complete the archiving of content.

This would mean that an upgrade of UOA 10g is a migration to UCM 11g. But here is where my knowledge stops a little bit and you might consider calling someone at Oracle.

7. guptaashu81

Thanks for the information

8. dcell59

dcell59 Forum Advisor

One of the big differences between 10g and 11g UCM is that 11g only runs under WebLogic Server. There are lots of bug fixes and new features, but a lot of UCM users still use 10g servers (a lot of them upgrade to the 11g version of the Desktop Integration Suite client because it's a lot easier to use and has more features, but some features require the 11g server).