1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

What IT Structure and roles are needed to support Oracle Applications after go-live

Discussion in 'General' started by logsdonrick, Oct 31, 2011.

1. logsdonrick

logsdonrick Guest

I'm implementing Oracle Applications (R12 Financials, Order to Cash, Procure to Pay, Supply Chain, Mfg.) We are moving from home grown legacy, so our IT organization is new to maintaining COTSs applications.
    What IT roles or structure do we need to main
    tain Oracle Applications? Specifically around configuration changes if needed, etc.
    Is that done by the business, or retained by IT?
    There are nearly 100 consultants implementing, with that many business users assisting.
    Once the consultants leave, how many Oracle Application experts does my IT organization need inhouse?
    Thanks

2. ScottNeville

ScottNeville Active Member

Re: What IT Structure and roles are needed to support Oracle Applications after go-li

In part, it will depend on how many users you have. Also how long the consultants stick around after the go-live to help with user support and fix any bugs that weren't found during testing.
    We have about 120 users with a footprint similar to yours except no supply chain but with manufacturing. We mostly self-implemented, so we didn't have any consulting help when we went live. We were in serious firefighting mode for the first month. It was another 2 months before everything was stable. Once we did that, we went into helpdesk mode for two years. Configuration changes were minimal. During this period, all our users became comfortable with the system. Only then did we look at implementing new functionality or making real changes to the system.
    As for resources, we had core implementation team of 8. One was from IT (me) and the rest were from different business areas. We had another 8 employees who were occasionaly involved when we need to call on their business process expertise. When we went live, all 8 of the core team was involved in putting out fires. I also took the best individual from the core implementation team and brought her into IT. After things calmed down, we were the support team. She left about a year after we started implementing new functionality. At that point I brought on 2 business analysts. one was fulltime functional support and the other was halftime. It allowed me to shed some of my Oracle responsibilities and move on to other projects.
    Anyway, that's probably more than you needed to know, but hopefully it is helpful to your situation.

Regards, Scott

Sadik likes this.