1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Using Oracle/Stellent UCM with SQL Server?

Discussion in 'Oracle Webcenter Suite (formerly Oracle ECM)' started by iCloche, Dec 17, 2008.

1. iCloche

iCloche Active Member

Is anyone using Oracle/Stellent UCM with SQL Server? If so, what number of users are you getting good performance with?

2. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

one of my clients has UCM with SQL server, they have more than 100+ users using stellent and after the initial setup they haven't really faced any performance issue.

Performance problems may come up for several reasons and not for your choice of database. for example if you are using the folders component and u end up creating thousands of sub-folders, you might face a problem. Similaryly if u have a complicated accounts structure it might cause some probs.

3. iCloche

iCloche Active Member

Thanks for responding so quickly Sadik.
    We are replacing Filenet with Oracle/Stellent UCM - our install will have 1750 user accounts, 500+ users who log in once a month at ad-hoc times, and a core team of ~20 process people who actively use the system. We will also have a futher 1000 customers who may come in through an extranet link to check documents on an ad-hoc infrequent use basis.

Although we are a serious Oracle shop, with the "GFC" in full swing we are looking to minimize costs - and therefore looking at the feasibility of using SQL Server.

Thoughts welcome!

4. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

:) i like ur acronym "GFC"

yes cutting costs in current times is a primary consideration. Since stellent is a relatively recent oracle acquisition, thankfully it works just fine on SQl server. The core server isn't really any problem but it's the components which can break your system considering your numbers. I would advise you to make absolutely sure you don't get folder heirarchies beyond 3 levels.

also how are u implementing document security? are you using accounts or security groups, using security groups and accounts simultaneously can cause pretty complex queries and is not recommended on heavy usage.

Also about the folders component this is a Tip from the user guide
    let me know if you face any problems

5. ILINX

ILINX Active Member

Yes SQL Server can handle the volumes you are planning. I can give you several technical references of Fortune 1000 customers that are in production with this level of users. The question is what version of FileNet are you converting Image Services, Content Services or P8? What is the volume and type of content you will be converting? If its image files you should really be considering OIPM, as this is the platform that is recommended for high volume image storage, UCM/Content Server is mor geared toward active content, office documents, edocs, etc. It will work but their are design considerations that have already been identified and implemented by hundreds of other organizations. Good Luck, have a nice day.