1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Urgent help Needed - Hierarchies need for oracle applications

Discussion in 'General' started by Oraclequest, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Oraclequest

Oraclequest Active Member

Hi,

We are building a datawarehouse with Oracle Apps as our OLTP source. We intend to implement drill up and drill down functionality through cubes as part of our reporting/analytics solution. Unfortunately, we are not being provided by hierarchies by Business and are left by ourselves to figure it out. Could someone help us identify them. For e.g., calendar date hierarchy would be Calendar Date->Week->Month->Quarter->Year.

Thanks

2. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

Sorry your post is not very clear. Which Oracle Application are you talking about, E-Business Suite?

3. Oraclequest

Its ERP. We deal with modules like GL, HR, PA, AP, PO. Does that help? I more of a reporting person so dont have much idea about the apps

4. Sadik

Yes it helps, but I still don't get your requirement. When you say "Unfortunately, we are not being provided by hierarchies by Business and are left by ourselves to figure it out. Could someone help us identify them.", which heirarchy are you talking about? Are you looking for Position Heirarchies defined in the system? or something else.

5. Oraclequest

We would be building an OLAP Cognos cube on top of the data warehouse. The data warehouse is built by doing ETL on Oracle ERP system. By hierarchy, i am refering to those drill up and drill down paths. For e.g., in addition to the calendar example above, a possible hierarchy could be Project->Task or Expenditure Type->Expenditure Name. W.r.t the Project hierarchy, each project is associated to many tasks. So, you can measure quantity say Burdened Cost at the task level and those could add up to give you the burdened cost at the project level, hence, drill up. Similar to this is how you can measure burdened cost at date level, those can add up to measure at the week level adding up to month then adding up to quarter until year. Make sense?

6. Sadik

Yes it does make sense. But you do not understand how Oracle EBS works. You can't just ask for "heirarchies". Every module caters to a business process and has a particular flow in a particular module. What you are talking in terms of Project Task expenditure is a part of the Oracle Projects Suite and specifically Oracle Project Management and Project Costing modules. To be able to write queries or do any form or ETL you will need to have a very clear idea of the querying business requirement and the EBS process flow to which the requirement refers to. Then you need to understand the process of data flow of that module and then identify the underlying tables and views from which to derive your data.

I hope I could throw a little light for you. Hence it would be impossible for anyone to help you unless you first arrive at an understanding of the ERP Module and the flow of data thereby.