1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Unable to view Timestamp datatype columns in TOAD

Discussion in 'Other Development Tools' started by Julian, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Julian

Julian Forum Advisor

Hi, I am using Toad to connect to oracle database server. When i do F4 to see the columns and data, it doesn't show the timestamp datatype's columns even though i can see the column name in columns. any idea about this? Is this a Toad issue or database issue?

next when i try to "create insert for all rows" toad just hangs! has anyone faced this before?

2. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

are u able to see the timestamp column with SQL Plus? if yes then there's nothing wrong with oracle.. and it's probably some limitation with Toad. By the way which Toad version are you using?

3. Julian

Julian Forum Advisor

i checked out with sql plus and it displays the timestamp column just fine, so it's probably TOAD. i am using toad 9.1 version

4. tyro

tyro Forum Genius

ohh i have seen this one before. Timestamp and even interval data types are not displayed with Toad if you are using an older oracle client version on your PC while connecting with Toad.

Install oracle 10g client and connect to Toad with 10g Home and your timestamp datatype will show up just fine.

5. rajavu

rajavu Forum Guru

Even 9i Client version will do the same I guess or rather any version greater than or equal to 8i.

6. Julian

Julian Forum Advisor

Hi Guys.. thank u so much! I installed Oracle 10g client and used the 10g client ORACLE_HOME and toad can now see the timestamp columns just fine