1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Unable to connect Developer 10 Report and Form builder with Oracle 9i Database

Discussion in 'Oracle Forms and Reports' started by zuhair, Aug 11, 2009.

1. zuhair

zuhair Active Member

I have received the following message when i connect Developer report builder with oracle database.

scott/tiger@z

REP-0501:Unable to connect to the specified database ORA-12154:TNS could not resolve service name.

I have written the following text in tnsnames.ora file.

[TABLE]# TNSNAMES.ORA Network Configuration File: E:\ora_10g\network\admin\tnsnames.ora
    # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

z =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = zkhan-dfml)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
    (SID = dba)
    )
    )[/TABLE]

One more thing that i need to mention,I have also installed Oracle Report 6i and its connecting well.I have installed Oracle database in my own computer.

Regards

Zuhair

2. tyro

tyro Forum Genius

Hi

Since you also have Reports 6i and I assume that this is a new installation of reports 10g, then the TNS_ADMIN is added to the SYSTEMS environment settings. This overrides the TNS_ADMIN variables found in the registry under each ORACLE_HOME.

You can remove TNS_ADMIN from My Computer->properties->Advanced->Environment variables. If required for the 10G home, the TNS_ADMIN environment variable can be added to the specific reports home for 10G.

OR

1.Modify the tnsnames.ora file pointed by the TNS_ADMIN variable to include valid database connection information.

3. zuhair

zuhair Active Member

Thanks for the reply,you are correct,I have just installed Developer suite 10G installed Report builder 6i earlier.Could you please tell me the detail of how can i create TNS_admin environment variable and link it with tnsnames.ora file .

4. zuhair

zuhair Active Member

I have create tns_admin environment variable but unfortunately report builder 6i is working well by using this variable but 10g has got the same problem.