1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

UCM: Adding new required field and dealing with existing content items

Discussion in 'Oracle Webcenter Suite (formerly Oracle ECM)' started by dcell59, Dec 3, 2010.

1. dcell59

dcell59 Forum Advisor

Let's say you want to add a new Content Server metadata field and you want to make it a required field. How do you deal with existing content items?

If your content items are in Folders, you can set up a default through folder inheritance, but what about content items that aren't in folders?

2. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

Good question. The primary question would be, do the older content items also have a value for the new field. You could otherwise just put a default value in the field.

I would personally do a database update. just update the value of the new field in the docmeta table for the old content items. It won't hurt.

3. dcell59

dcell59 Forum Advisor

Since it's a new field, older items wouldn't have a value. I'm a little surprised that there isn't a tool that makes this easy, since it seems like it would happen quite a bit with systems that evolve over time.

4. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

hmmm... it's been a while since i worked with UCM, but i don't remember there being any way to do this on UCM 10gR3.

Like I said, doing an update for this would be fairly simple.