1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Tokenizer, Parent wf step (initiator) and migration issues

Discussion in 'Oracle Webcenter Suite (formerly Oracle ECM)' started by vibecy, Jun 30, 2009.

1. vibecy

vibecy Active Member

Hi all,

I have almost completed a UCM implementation for a client, but I have the following (urgent) issues that I have been trying to resolve for a long time:

1. The system has 55 users in total. For each user, I have set a custom metadata field in their user details, to assign them to Department Heads. For example user1 has metadata DeptHead=user4 and so on. I have workflows which are initiated from any user, but they have to get approval by their DeptHead. E.g. user1 requests a holiday leave, which needs to be approved by user4 and then moved on to user5 for further approval e.t.c. How do I implement this?

2. In workflows, if users make approvals, the flow is correct (i.e. the documents moves from user1 to user2, as instructed in the workflow). Currently when users reject a document, the document is released but "stays" in the folder of the person who rejected it. I want the document to go to the initiator of the workflow, together with the rejected message the approver has put. Howto?

3. I have tried to migrate from the development server to the production server using the Configuration Bundles. Everything is migrated correctly (I presume) EXCEPT the users/roles/accounts of the system. I have tried numerous ways to do that, again to no avail. How do I do a proper migration of my security model (users/roles/accounts)?

I would appreciate it if someone could help me as this system needs to be delivered by this Friday and time is pressing.

Regards,
    Markos

2. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

Hi Markos You have some serious last minute issues. Shouldn't these issues have been finalized in the design phase and not now at delivery? Anyways...

The approach you have taken is not very scaleable. What you should have instead done is create a custom metadata for Department on the check-in screen. Next you can create aliases for different department heads. Next you can define criteria workflow on the department metadata field where the department head is added to the list of reviewers through a Token picking the dept head user from the alias. So now in future if dept. head changes or new users come in you don't have to do anything. Just change the dept. head in the alias and it's done. Makes sense?

Look up Token examples from this workflow guide

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/...n/workflows/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm

Your current design would also need Tokens to pick the manager from the user attribute field.

This is standard functionality, I don't know why it is not happening. If an approver, rejects the document has to come back to the contributor with the rejected message in email.

If you are using the Configuration Migration utility, the roles, security groups and users should also be exported.

3. vibecy

vibecy Active Member

Hi Sadik,

Thank you for your prompt reply. I agree with you about the design issues - unfortunately it's not a matter I could have a say in. I have taken ownership of the implementation so it's up to me to "finalize" it - i.e. do whatever needs to be done.

Can you elaborate a bit on point 1? My client uses the Folders component for checking in documents, so I am not sure how I can define such a token upon folder check-in.

On point 2, maybe that has to do with the fact that on workflow approvals I change the FolderID to the folder which I want the document to appear in? (e.g. holiday request from dept X to the HR department). Is there anything else I can do to check this part? I presume somehow I need to change the FolderID back to the original one as well?

Point 3, this is what I used (from the Web Interface, I don't have physical access to the client's LINUX server), and still the security model did not export. Any suggestions?

Really appreciate your help!

Regards,
    M.

4. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

It does not matter whether your client uses the folder's component or not. You should learn the usage of Tokens from the link I gave you and it should be clear.

You are changing FolderID in Workflow? How? and why are you doing that? Whenever the user logs in, his workflow items are visible in My Content server-> My workflow Assignments. Why do you need to move the files from one folder to another???

Not really. If you don't have physical access it limits your options.

5. vibecy

vibecy Active Member

Hi again,

Point 1 - will start reading ASAP! :)

Point 2 - I am changing the FolderID via the wfupdatemetadata command in my workflows, using the numerical FolderID of the Folder I want my document to "go" to. The reason is that as my client uses WebDAV mainly, they want files to appear/disappear from their Folders as approvals take place. Imagine having a WebDAV hierarchy, and you initiate a workflow by drag/drop a file in a Folder. As soon as the file is dropped, it disappears from that Folders and goes to the designated (Incoming) folder of another department (as instructed by the procedures/workflows). Each Department can only see their Department Files (e.g. HR->tree hierarchy does not have access to OPS->tree hierarchy). Again think about the example of a leave request from one Dept to another.

Point 3 - If I request physical access to that server what should I look for? Start up the Configuration Migration Utility and give it another go, or look up something else?

Regards,
    M.

6. vibecy

vibecy Active Member

Just a quick Followup for Point 3:

I have set up a local UCM instance and tried exporting a bundle from there. Under the Configuration Template, I can see my users in the Users Data Section, but I cannot select them (no checkbox next to them) so that they can be exported.

Going through the documentation though, I have managed to export the users.hda via the Archiver utility. I opened the file (in the /archives directory) and the users are there alright.

So does that mean to migrate my users from dev to prod, I have to physically copy the archives folder from dev to the archives folder in prod, and then import them via the Open Archive -> Import users options in there?

Stellent/Oracle need an HCI expert of some sorts..this doesn't make sense..

If anyone else has any more feedback for any of the points discussed above, please feel free to join the conversation.

Regards,
    Markos