1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

the impact on Oracle 11g regarding the Windows server upgrade

Discussion in 'Security, Backup and Recovery' started by Jaan_Lin, May 10, 2013.

1. Jaan_Lin

Jaan_Lin Active Member

Hello everyone, i am new learner here.

Now i am facing one prob. the background is that so far we are running oracle 11g on Windows server2003 EE SP2(32bit), now the IS team decide to upgrade the windows server to Windows server 2008 R2(64bit).

my question is what we need to consider during the windows server upgrade.

i know we need to do the backup first. anyways, can oracle 11g(32bit) be working fine on 64bit servers? if no, what should i do then?

very appreciate if you can give any help or advice.

thanks in advance.

Lin

2. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

32-bit 11.2 is not certified for 2008 R2 64-bit systems. You must install the 64-bit binaries to run 11.2 on Windows Server 2008 R2.

3. Jaan_Lin

Jaan_Lin Active Member

Hi Zargon, thx for your quick reply.

so you mean i have to install 64bit binaries after OS upgraded, then import the backup DB, right?

4. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

That's one way -- another is to use RMAN to backup the database and restore it on the 64-bit machine but that requires running a catalog script to convert data dictionary information to recognize the db is now on 64-bit software. If you can use data pump to transfer the data without transaction loss that is the way you should go.

Jaan_Lin likes this.
  5. Jaan_Lin

Jaan_Lin Active Member

Hi Zargon, thx for ur patient reply. I will try it on my Virtual Machine later. Will ask you for help once i met some other probs..

Thanks in advance,
    Lin