1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

text item validation

Discussion in 'Oracle Forms and Reports' started by aadityainpccs, Dec 7, 2012.

1. aadityainpccs

aadityainpccs Active Member

Hello,
    i want to make a text item which accepts numeric values only..thank you

2. kiran.marla

kiran.marla Forum Genius

Goto item properties and change the datatype to number.

3. aadityainpccs

Thank you for replying but i want to write a pl/sql code at trigger through which if i press anything instead of number then there is no text printed in text item.

4. kiran.marla

kiran.marla Forum Genius

you can restrict through pl/sql code also but the number will be printed in the text item. after printing your number will be validated.

5. aadityainpccs

Sir,actually i have to make a field for contact number (text item) in which i have to enter only numeric values,if i set its data type property to number then by pressing any alpha-numeric key it will be printed in text item.I want it is not printed in text item with a message indicating that we have enter non numeric key.

6. ac.arijit

ac.arijit Forum Advisor

Hi,

As far as i got ur thread, u r having a field for contact number and also wanna have validation for this.
    Ok !! So, u wanna validate the input value as numeric value, but r u sure u wanna do this? Coz .. u may get inputs like "+919999999999" or "1800-300-2123" etc where u got alpha-num input. So, if u got any standard input pattern for the item then u can write custom logic to validate the input by following way:

1. Make the item varchar2 item.
    2. Define a 'WHEN-VALIDATE-ITEM' trigger for the item.
    3. Write custom logic in it to validate the input.
    4. In case, u encountered invalid value ...
    give a message prompt and stop further program flow..
    >> fnd_message.debug('Invalid value entered for the field Contact Number.');
    >> Raise Form_Trigger_Failure;

Try it .. I guess it was helpful for u ..
    In case u have any doubts, lemme know.. :)

7. aadityainpccs

Hello,

pls tell me that custom logic,which can run for each input values to check its datatype and pattern.Like there is a text item T1,and when I put 1(an integer value) then it would be written in text item,If I put #(non integer value except @) would not be inputted in text item.

Thank You.

8. ac.arijit

ac.arijit Forum Advisor

Hi,

Ok!! Presuming u'll be able to atleast catch the input value of the text item in a variable, here's how u can do this by any of the following ways...

1. In your "If ..else ..end if" make use of the SQL commands INSTR to verify whether the restricted characters r a part of the value or not.

2. Iterate through the input value one-by-one taking one character at a time and verifying it with the validation logics u got.

3. Convert the input value into an ASCII value and then verify the ASCII value if it contains any unwanted character.