1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Suggestions regarding new document category

Discussion in 'Documents Section Discussions' started by genfin, Aug 10, 2011.

1. genfin

genfin Active Member

Being a new member I’ve some suggestions ....

Can you have separate Categories/sections under documentation for:

Category: Impl. Project Deliverables

Subcategories/Sections:

i. Project Deliverables
    ii. Project Mgmt docs (pertaining to Oracle ebs Project/Program Mgmt .... Plans,
    checklists, strategy)
    iii. Actual Project docs (prepared during realtime implementation, but not deliverables)
    iv. Training materials – Complete Courseware, students & instructor guides, CD/DVD's
    v. Training materials - Tutorials, courseware, video clips, others

Also is it possible to :
    i. clean out all the blank, generic or standard templates which users have uploaded in documents area into a separate folder ?
    ii. review and move the existing into (i) thru (iv) depending on where they fall in

Maybe members can append the version 11i/R12 , module name and specifically mention if it’s a blank template and not a actual deliverable. This will avoid everyones time from being wasted when after several clicks all you find is a std AIM template.

Probably you could award more points/credits or some incentive in terms of waivers/ access to those who upload actual project deliverables, realtime implementation docs and quality documents ..or maybe establish a mechanism wherein only those who upload similar get to download the same.

Genfin

2. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

Hi genfin

These are some excellent suggestions. Currently the Documents section has been categorized by Modules and not Project Deliverables, meaning under Oracle Financials we have all kinds of Financials Docs from Deliverables to training manuals etc.

We can Create a new Impl. Project Deliverables category but the problem for the user then will be whether to select document category by module or by document type.

In my opinion a better alternative is to keep and possibly expand the current Module/Product based Categories and have project deliverables, project Mgmt Docs etc as subcategories. So For instance under Oracle SCM we can have

Oracle EBS R12
    --Oracle SCM
    ----Project Deliverables
    ----Project Mgmt Docs
    ----Training Materials

What is your opinion of such a structure? If we do reorganize the Documents section, it would be quite a mammoth task of re-categorizing about 1500+ Docs.

Also we do have a File Rating option but I agree that it is limited and we need some more quality determining / rating criterion. We are in fact currently working on these very same factors for the site and your suggestions have come at a sweet time.

3. genfin

genfin Active Member

Few suggestions on quality and content :

That’s exactly what I meant. I'll prepare a skeleton for an additional Project deliverables/Proj doc category with additional subcategories and sub sub categories.

The current 1500 docs is not a big deal ... I bet there are hardly few that you will need to move to the new category. Most are learning docs, blank templates or generics and not real proj documents. Even if that were the case, one volunteer for each module shouldnt take more than a day or two to move them where they belong.

1. Create a WIP/Exercise area : A moderator for each module can upload skeletons of proj. deliverables maybe within the forum or Google docs or some other site. A team of volunteer members under their guidance take these to completion with help from junior members who can google and fill in sections.

eg. for Cutover or Golive many documents maybe involved ... checklist, task/activity lists, spreadsheet, plan, strategy doc, presentation for client, pre-post activities, things to do, test doc to test the cutover plan itself. Besides these will be different for each module.

3. Naming convention: Have members use a proper naming convention and description for the docs being uploaded eg. Module name > Rel/Ver > Name > Description >

Eg. Cutover > is too generic a term to name a document, but cutover plan for GL, cutover spreadsheet, cutover task/activity list, pre-post cutover tasks etc are more precise and meaningful. ....... Purchasing setup > is it really PO stuff or more relevant to INV, 11i or R12?..... training material> Is it training or learning material....for> client proj team, end user or consultant training?

4a. Focus now should now be on quality deliverables, and project documentation that can be a repository that are usable from the project kickoff day and act like ingredients throughout the implementation and help cut down time and efforts as well. Not on navigation, setups screen cut pastes, articles, tips and training materials.

5. Mantra ought to be simple …. Want to download project deliverables/documents ... upload same or put in efforts to prepare them as a member of a team. Restricted access/limit….. especially for those that upload junk, blank templates, low quality, redundant or irrelevant stuff.

6. Let the articles, ppt, tips & tricks, setup screens, cut pastes, how to’s, navigation docs, basics , fundamentals stay where they are in current classification. Maybe different symbols can be appended to each to indicate what they are.

Genfin

4. apps_expert

apps_expert Forum Expert

I agree with Genfin that certain catagory expansion and quality control is required. However I am not certain it's such a good idea focusing too much on Project deliverables since for all implementations, these are confidential between the client and the implementer. I really do not foresee too many Project Deliverable documents being legally shared.

However I agree that we can have better labelling of the documents to facilitate easy searching and qualification. Version numbers, type of doc etc can be "Tags" which can be applied on the document so that I can find all documents with a particular tag.

Hope this helps.

5. Sadik

Thanks very much Genfin and apps_expert.

I agree we need more refined labelling and categorization. I have taken all suggestions into consideration. We will be embarking on a re-categorization and labeling drive for all documents which will also include qualifying a document as a Project Deliverable or not. This will take a little time but I am hopeful we can get the entire job job done within 2 weeks (more like another week but I am taking time in hand).

6. genfin

genfin Active Member

However I am not certain it's such a good idea focusing too much on Project deliverables

I’d think this way. Why should a member spend his time going thru the jungle of documents that at most are 'learning stickers' and not use google and save time.

What about the time they are wasting to find that ONE document that is relevant, precise, to the point, complete and of hi-quality. If not Project documents how many there really fulfill the above criteria.

Learning apart, how many are relevant to, related or can actually be used on a client project/ implementation. If on a client implementation/project do they:
    - add value, cut down time & efforts of cosultants
    - guide or act as pointers? provide direction for the activities/task that need to be performed at
    the client site?
    - cut down on a consultants documentation time?
    - help prepare a professional, structured, quality document with proper coverage which on
    presenting to the client will speak for itself?
    - form a part of a document recipe which a consultant ought to have?
    - are they of any use when preparing project deliverables supposed to be provided to the client?

Most forums die for the same reason that they fail to add value or returns for the time the tech community/consultants spends on it. And more so because many forums lack or have far and few quality material that a consultant could really use on a project.

<these are confidential between the client and the implementer>

I’m wondering about the copies of client project documents and deliverables everyone keeps for personal use or future reference or for that matter those copies that are form the basis or used as templates that are worked on for the next clients..... also what about the repositories consultants and companies keep?

<I really do not foresee too many Project Deliverable documents being legally shared>
    As far as legality goes apart from all of the above what about people who use software beyond free 30 days trial period , sharing, distributing or help distributing students guide, course materials etc.

I totally agree with you on this. Good to know you guys decided that you going to remove all copy right protected materials, cut-pastes or copies of original authors, plagiarized or those that are uploaded as ‘unknown’ authors.

Unfortunately that is what forum administrators and moderators are supposed to do.... review and weed out stuff that is proprietary, illegal, breaches confidentiality, intellectual rights etc and letting only those to be uploaded where due credit is given to authors with permission and not the as author ‘unknown’. Harsh but …you got to do what you got to do.

I better download quick before you knock these off the forum

Sadik likes this.
  7. genfin

genfin Active Member

Can you let me know about the reclassification? I tried couple of pages but could not locate

8. Sadik

Hey Genfin. Thanks for the follow through. The problem is that currently most Mods here are busy with their own projects and work. I myself am doing two implementations right now, and my time for the site is also terribly limited. Hence we have been unable to do the reclassification yet. I do have that as the top priority but until I can get more time, it will have to wait.

best regards