1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Suggestion for Logical Grouping of items - Folios or not?

Discussion in 'Oracle Webcenter Suite (formerly Oracle ECM)' started by vibecy, Jul 22, 2009.

1. vibecy

vibecy Active Member

Hi All,

I will be doing a "proof of concept" presentation to a client and I would like to hear your suggestions on how to logically (and sometimes hierarchically) group items together, and the easiest way for them to check them in:

My client has already scanned about 2,000,000 files into JPEG images as part of another contract, and they would like to utilize a UCM implementation to archive those images.

There are top-tier categories like PRIVATE, CONFIDENTIAL, PUBLIC and 2nd-tier categories within the top-tier like COMMUNICATION, FORMS and TEMPLATES. I can resove the 1st and 2nd tier using metadata of course.

My concern is that a "document" usually consists of more than one page (which is an entity by itself) and I would like to group them by e.g. DOCUMENT TITLE - PAGE1, PAGE2 and so on. My client would then search for each DOCUMENT bundle, and be presented with all the pages of the DOCUMENT.

1. Do I need to use Folios or do you have a better alternative?

2. What would you suggest to use for batch-checking in the pages for each document, whilst keeping it easy? (I don't think it's very intuitive for my client to check in a document page by page..)

Any suggestions are welcome!

Regards,
    Markos

2. markH

markH Forum Advisor

Hi

If my understanding of the problem is correct, you can do with a well thought out metadata model. Why can't you just go with Document Title in the title field and page no. as a custom metadata? you can have page no. as a drop down if you like coupled with the category1 category2 as dependent choice lists.

Folios should work too but if the volume is huge it may become a hindrance. I would keep try to manage it with a well thought out Metadata model only.

Another option you can look at is the Folders component. But that largely depends on the number of documents there are. If you have documents to be folders, you can ask your clients to use the desktop integration and your client can simply drag and drop all the pages in the individual folders.

vibecy likes this.
  3. vibecy

vibecy Active Member

Hi markH,

Thank you for your suggestions, pretty spot on, haven't thought about using dependent choice lists as I didn't need them in any implementations up to now. Do you have any reference to documentation on how to do them? I have only managed to do option lists as custom metadata in my sample instance.

I am aware of the Folders component, as I have used it on my previous client. I will try to keep its usage minimal as it has given me a LOT of headaches with workflow approvals and document redirections (used wfUpdateMetadata FolderID previously), but it's an option to batch check-in nonetheless.

Thank you again for your reply.

Regards,
    Markos

4. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

vibecy likes this.
  5. vibecy

vibecy Active Member

Thank you both!

6. Sadik

You are welcome! :)

7. markH

markH Forum Advisor

Let us know how your presentation went and Happy Birthday! :)

8. guliflower

guliflower Active Member

Hi, do you know any article describing how is it better to classify documents? And in which cases it makes sence to use folders, in which folies?
    Thanks!

9. Sadik

Hmmm it's very difficult to give a generic reply. I personally prefer Folders over Folios because the end-users are most comfortable with the Windows Explorer like interface.

guliflower likes this.