1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

suggest me a certification

Discussion in 'Training and Certification' started by deepthi.ts, Mar 16, 2010.

1. deepthi.ts

deepthi.ts Active Member

am a b.tech fresher. waiting for call letter. mean while want to do a certification in oracle. can any one plz suggest me a gud option.which one to choose 9i or 10g or 11g. and also plz mention some gud books for self study.

2. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

9i is no longer supported, 10g is in the final stages of regular support so 11g would be the database version on which to certify, even though certification is more for the HR staff than for the IT managers who hire and use such people.

deepthi.ts likes this.
  3. deepthi.ts

deepthi.ts Active Member

@Zargon

plz suggest me some gud books for self study.

4. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

I am not familiar with this author 'Gud' but I'm fairly certain he or she hasn't written any Oracle techncal material. You cannot simply read books and expect to pass certification and have that certification actually mean something (and, I'm sorry to say, most Oracle certifications aren't worth the paper on whch they are printed). Your goal should be UNDERSTANDING the database, its architecture and its processes and 'brain dumps' won't provide that level of information.

Books you should read whether you certify or not:

"Expert Oracle Database Arcbitecture", Thomas Kyte
    "Cost-Based Oracle Fundamentals", Jonathan Lewis
    "Oracle PL/SQL Programming", Steven Feuerstein

These are books which will lead you to understand Oracle and its workings and will serve you well in a career using Oracle; the various 'Exam Cram' and 'brain dumps' offerings cannot provide such knowledge. I suggest also that you vist my blog, not so much for my writing but for the links to Jonathan Lewis' site, Ask Tom (Tom Kyte's answer site) and the online Oracle documentation sprinkled liberally throughout my posts:

http://oratips-ddf.blogspot.com/

deepthi.ts likes this.