1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

SQL Statement - Complex Condition

Discussion in 'SQL PL/SQL' started by Ying, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Ying

Ying Active Member

Hi,

First I wish to say that I have tried my best to think, but I still coudn't think "out of box".

I want to compute a SQL statement base on the condition below:

1.) Table A consists of employee data (Emp_Id, Email, Sex, Address, race and nationality)

We use email as login, so in order to retrieve a correct employee data base on their email, the system won't get the correct row as there are many rows return. So what I did is,

2.) Create a Table B consists of employees whereby their email address is shared with others employees (Those has no email).

But I have no idea how to compute a SQL statement base on these two tables to retrive a correct row for that particular employee who's email is shared by other employee.

Hope my explaination won't be confused.

Please advise.

Ying

2. rajavu

rajavu Forum Guru

Actually Not clear what you are telling about.

Do you mean to say Table A conists of persons with actual email ids and table B with persons with shared email ids? If that is the case, You can do something like...

Code (SQL):
    SELECT * FROM B WHERE EXISTS (SELECT NULL FROM A WHERE A.email_id = B.email_id)

3. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

You cannot do what you want with the limited criteria you've provided. This system was designed for unique email addresses (each employee has his/her own, distinct email address); since your company has chosen to not enforce this condition you end up with the query results you report:

Code (SQL):
    SQL> CREATE TABLE employees(
      2          Emp_Id    NUMBER,
      3          Email     varchar2(100),
      4          Sex       varchar2(1),
      5          Address   varchar2(240),
      6          race      varchar2(30),
      7          nationality varchar2(100)
      8  );

TABLE created.

SQL>
    SQL> BEGIN
      2          FOR i IN 4437..6611 loop
      3              IF MOD(i,7) = 0 THEN
      4                  INSERT INTO employees
      5                  VALUES(i, 'blorgenfortz@smingnadle.net', 'F', i||' Snangdoodle Ave, Plortz, Wahabi', 'Caucasian','Swedish');
      6              elsif MOD(i,43) = 0 THEN
      7                  INSERT INTO employees
      8                  VALUES(i, 'blargenfurtz@smingnoodle.net', 'M', i||' Snoongdadle Blvd, Plartz, Annur', 'Caucasian','Dutch');
      9              ELSE
     10                  INSERT INTO employees
     11                  VALUES(i, 'apssing'||i||'@trebnu'||i||'.net', 'M', i||' Snoon, Plartz, Annur', 'Caucasian','Norwegian');
     12              END IF;
     14          END loop;
     16          commit;
     18  END;
     19  /

PL/SQL PROCEDURE successfully completed.

SQL>
    SQL> SET linesize 500
    SQL>
    SQL> SELECT *
      2  FROM employees
      3  WHERE email = 'blorgenfortz@smingnadle.net';

EMP_ID EMAIL                                                                                                S ADDRESS                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          RACE                           NATIONALITY
    ---------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          4774 [email]blorgenfortz@smingnadle.net[/email]                                                                          F 4774 Snangdoodle Ave, Plortz, Wahabi                                                                                                                                                                                                             Caucasian                      Swedish
          4781 [email]blorgenfortz@smingnadle.net[/email]                                                                          F 4781 Snangdoodle Ave, Plortz, Wahabi                                                                                                                                                                                                             Caucasian                      Swedish
          4788 [email]blorgenfortz@smingnadle.net[/email]                                                                          F 4788 Snangdoodle Ave, Plortz, Wahabi                                                                                                                                                                                                             Caucasian                      Swedish
          4795 [email]blorgenfortz@smingnadle.net[/email]                                                                          F 4795 Snangdoodle Ave, Plortz, Wahabi                                                                                                                                                                                                             Caucasian                      Swedish

311 ROWS selected.

SQL>
    SQL> SELECT *
      2  FROM employees
      3  WHERE email = 'blargenfurtz@smingnoodle.net';

EMP_ID EMAIL                                                                                                S ADDRESS                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          RACE                           NATIONALITY
    ---------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          4773 [email]blargenfurtz@smingnoodle.net[/email]                                                                         M 4773 Snoongdadle Blvd, Plartz, Annur                                                                                                                                                                                                             Caucasian                      Dutch
          4472 [email]blargenfurtz@smingnoodle.net[/email]                                                                         M 4472 Snoongdadle Blvd, Plartz, Annur                                                                                                                                                                                                             Caucasian                      Dutch
          4558 [email]blargenfurtz@smingnoodle.net[/email]                                                                         M 4558 Snoongdadle Blvd, Plartz, Annur                                                                                                                                                                                                             Caucasian                      Dutch
          4601 [email]blargenfurtz@smingnoodle.net[/email]                                                                         M 4601 Snoongdadle Blvd, Plartz, Annur                                                                                                                                                                                                             Caucasian                      Dutch
          4644 [email]blargenfurtz@smingnoodle.net[/email]                                                                         M 4644 Snoongdadle Blvd, Plartz, Annur                                                                                                                                                                                                             Caucasian                      Dutch
          4687 [email]blargenfurtz@smingnoodle.net[/email]                                                                         M 4687 Snoongdadle Blvd, Plartz, Annur                                                                                                                                                                                                             Caucasian                      Dutch
          4730 [email]blargenfurtz@smingnoodle.net[/email]                                                                         M 4730 Snoongdadle Blvd, Plartz, Annur                                                                                                                                                                                                             Caucasian                      Dutch
          5375 [email]blargenfurtz@smingnoodle.net[/email]                                                                         M 5375 Snoongdadle Blvd, Plartz, Annur                                                                                                                                                                                                             Caucasian                      Dutch
          5461 [email]blargenfurtz@smingnoodle.net[/email]                                                                         M 5461 Snoongdadle Blvd, Plartz, Annur                                                                                                                                                                                                             Caucasian                      Dutch
          5504 [email]blargenfurtz@smingnoodle.net[/email]                                                                         M 5504 Snoongdadle Blvd, Plartz, Annur                                                                                                                                                                                                             Caucasian                      Dutch

43 ROWS selected.

SQL>
    You will need additional criteria to isolate a particular employee:

Code (SQL):
    SQL> SELECT *
      2  FROM employees
      3  WHERE email = 'blorgenfortz@smingnadle.net'
      4  AND address LIKE '4473%';

4473 blorgenfortz@ smingnadle.net                                                                          F 4473 Snangdoodle Ave, Plortz, Wahabi                                                                                                                                                                                                             Caucasian                      Swedish

SQL>
    Using the email address alone, even with your second table, will not give you the results you desire as you have no unique identifier in your WHERE clause to isolate a particular employee.

4. Ying

Ying Active Member

The table B consists of the employees whose email address is shared by others. For example:

Table A:
    Employee A email address, shared by Employee B, C, D
    Employee F email address, shared by Employee H, I
    Employee J email address, shared by Employee K, L, M, N
    Employee O email address, shared by Employee P, Q, R, S, T, U

Employee 01 email address - Unique
    Employee 02 email address - Unique
    Employee 03 email address - Unique
    Employee 04 email address - Unique
    Employee 05 email address - Unique
    Employee 06 email address - -
    Employee 07 email address - -
    Employee 08 email address - -
    Employee 09 email address - -
    Employee 10 email address - -
    Employee 11 email address - -
    Employee 12 email address
    - -

Table B:

Employee A email address, Emp ID
    Employee F email address, Emp ID
    Employee O email address,Emp ID

So, what I want to perform for my SQL is
    IF the emloyee's emailaddress COUNT(*) > 1), then Validate whether his/her is in Table B, IF TRUE, then this is the "Original" employee. So, select the data.

There will be two main tables involve in the SQL statements, table B and A

Ying

5. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

Ying, could you show us what query you have written?