1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

SPfile Configuration for better performance

Discussion in 'Server Administration and Options' started by cbgreen, Dec 15, 2009.

1. cbgreen

cbgreen Active Member

As for oracle I have noticed that on the NEW Server oracle is constantly using on avg about 30-40% of the processor, Also when we run some batch queries it kills oracle, the processor usage goes off the charts and as u the result is oracle comes to grind crawl and the phone start ringing about evolution being slow. Which it didn’t do that on the old system (OLD). I have looked at spfiles configuration and have a few questions about the differences.

OLD Server
    ***Not In File***

NEW Server

My questions are:
    1. Can we up the processes=250 which is the max?
    2. Can we also change the %t_%s.dbf to the .arc file type? From my research there isnt any downside to change archive format, but my concern is that since .dbf files are databse files they are complex and need more resources to create then creating the .arc files.
    3. We definitly need to change the archive location.
  2. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

Aurora, CO
    1. Yes, you can although this will require a database restart.
    2. You CAN but you will need to backup the database and archivelogs BEFORE you shut it down and make the the change and again after the change is made, the database is restarted and at least one archivelog is generated. Since the file format will change the old format archivelogs will be useless after the restart and if you restore your database to a point in time from before you make this change you'll lose this modification and revert to the current format specifier.
    3. You can do that as well, but do that at the same time you make the change in #2 so your backup made after the changes are effected will be usable.