1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Silent Installation of Oracle

Discussion in 'Installation - Unix and Unix Like' started by Deepak, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Deepak

Deepak Active Member

Hi,
    I need to do the silent installation of oracle(11g) using a single shell script. I have generated the response files for both software installation as well as for dbca setup . I have kept them in the following way in my shell script:

su - oracle -c "<runInstaller path> -silent -responseFile <responseFile Path>" ###LINE 1

/FNMT_SAN_DISK/fnmt/oraInventory/orainstRoot.sh ######## LINE 2

su - oracle -c "dbca -silent -createDatabase -responseFile <responseFilePath> -continueOnNonFatalErrors true" #### LINE 3

Everything is running fine except that control is not getting passed to LINE2 from LINE1 , even after LINE1 is getting executed successfully.

Please help in this regard.

Deepak

2. dariyoosh

dariyoosh Forum Advisor

Hello there,

As far as I remember (to be confirmed by experts) the orainstRoot.sh scripts must be executed
    as root, but as I see in LINE 1 you start running as oracle user, so even if it runs successfully you
    will not have root privileges for LINE 2, so I think you should modify your scripts to be root before
    start running LINE 2.

Regards,
    Dariyoosh
    :)

3. Deepak

Deepak Active Member

Hi Dariyoosh,
    Thanks for replying... I am executing this script as a root user only. Since oracle software installation needs to be executed as oracle user, i have executed it (Line 1)as oracle user. As far as my knowledge says, it will execute the next line as root user only. Th e problem is that control is not passing to the next line.If there is any problem with permission it should atleast flash some message, but i am not getting that .

Regards,
    Deepak