1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

set batch priority on access to oracle Database

Discussion in 'General' started by shubhra.prasad10, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Hi,
    I have a batch process running at high priority but each time someone tries to access the database, its priority should be automatically reduced.
    since hitting the database should be placed at high priority.

2. apps_expert

apps_expert Forum Expert

Re: priority

hi Subhra, when you say batch process do you mean a concurrent request in EBS or you are talking about a scheduled job in the database?

3. Re: priority

I mean a scheduled job in database.

4. apps_expert

apps_expert Forum Expert

well i am not quite a dba here so can't delve into much details. I don't quite know how one can identify whether a user is accessing a database or not? or y you even require to lower the "priority of a job" when database is accessed. Once you schedule a job, the PL/SQL which runs forms part of a OS process. This OS process (assuming you are on a unix like system) have "nice" values.

"nice" values are what determine the priority of a process, so u basically have to issue a "nice" command to reduce the priority of the process that is running your scheduled job. So that isbasically an OS command and may need o be done through a cron job.

I suggest you read the following article

http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_setting_priority_oracle_batch_jobs.htm