1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Requesting response: should there be a separate articles section

Discussion in 'Site Announcements and Feedback' started by Sadik, Feb 26, 2009.

?

Should there be a New separate article section on Club-Oracle Forums

Poll closed Mar 5, 2009.
  1. Yes, absolutely and I will contribute

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Yes, I would love to read and/or comment

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, It's Unnecessary

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. Doesn't make any difference

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

Hello everyone.

This is a question that I have been pondering over for a long while now and i keep switching between one and the other answer. The question is should there be a separate article section on the club-oracle.com site. Points in favor are

1. There are many folks who would want to detail out a process or theory which they want to share with. Posting them in threads doesn't distinguish them from questions asked by users.
    2. Visibility. A separate article section provides visibility and feedback.

Points against are

1. An article is just a term. Ultimately it's someone sharing some knowledge. Call it a thread or call it an article, a page remains a page.
    2. There already are some great article sites and oracle's documentation of course. What good will another article section do?

So i am just asking everyone what they think. Should we have a separate article section where one can post articles in their name, rate articles by others, comment on them etc.

If the general consensus is that everyone wants an article section it would take at least a fortnight to come up with the feature. I request you to please do share your opinion.

sivbala likes this.
  2. apps_expert

apps_expert Forum Expert

In my humble opinion, if we have it it's good and useful. If we don't the site is still good and useful and serves it's purpose, so doesn't make much of a difference.

3. Sadik

hmmm, thanks for your humble opinion, it matters :)

4. rajavu

rajavu Forum Guru

Yes.. It will make difference. And ARTICLE SECTION will be a nice feature from other Oracle forum also. You can expect the contribution from me ( Some of them are already in place :) )

5. simply_dba

simply_dba Forum Advisor

Hmm.... I fear that this new section will make the forum a bit more complex, since you have to create sub section under this for sorting articles on different topics.
    :)

6. Sadik

Yes, of course. You have some great contributions! However it may be difficult to move your existing articles to the new section (if it get's implemented) because of existing links and all. But i have some backup plans so let's see. I will keep this poll for about 5 days or so. Depending on feedback, the next step will be decided.

Regards

7. Sadik

You mak a good point. But that is exactly why we would be taking a fortnight to test out various options on functionality, placements, design etc to make out which makes the most user-friendly option. But yes, let's see what the general consensus is.

8. yaznesh

yaznesh Forum Advisor

yes.

it would be more helpful for us

9. tyro

tyro Forum Genius

yes its a good point that there are lots of article sites around and oracle's own documentation but hey aren't there lots of forums around too? it doesn't matter how many other sites there are, its which site is most useful. if we can write some good useful articles than y not.

I would like it, my vote is YES!

10. sameer

sameer Forum Advisor

well I haven't quite voted as I am undecided, it's like 50:50 to me. Ok i will go with the doesn't make a difference.

11. rnavduri

rnavduri Forum Advisor

Sadik,

I favor a separate section for Articles and any other posts which are not related to the problems one is facing. This thread will be used as a knowledge bank. What I mean by any other posts is for example you have created a thread for installing Content server, this will come under this knowledge bank/article so that new comers can have some information to install new UCM components.

One more important thing I want to highlight here is, I am observing since I joined this forum, only you or Mark are the only people (sorry If I miss others) who are responding to any queries. Others just want their problems to be solved. I urge all folks who have more knowledge in UCM or any other technologies please help people like me who are very new to UCM technologies. Once we acquire enough knowledge in UCM we will also try posting solutions to new comers. This will reduce the load on Sadik and we can share our knowledge with others. From my side I am going to post the documentation to setup Sitestudio and configure content server to use sitestudio after successfully installing Content server. Because I ran into some problems and fixed them while installing Sitestudio and want to share my knowledge with all other folks like me.

Rajesh

12. markH

markH Forum Advisor

hmmm that's good point. Actually i came here also looking for a solution to a problem. I found the site helpful so i try to help with what i can. It would be better if more people who are only coming for help can also share with their knowledge. I look forward to your article Rajesh.

COming to the point of this thread, yes it would be good to have an article knowledge base. I might not be able to contribute too much, i remain very busy with added responsibiliities but i would do what i can.

13. vrraju

vrraju Guest

hai this is good

14. If we don't the site is still good and useful and serves it's purpose, so doesn't make much of a difference.

---------------------------------
    Travesti.

15. sivbala

sivbala Active Member

Yes. Good idea to separate and Organize

16. alinaosean

alinaosean Active Member

hiiiiiii this is very good post

17. alinaosean

alinaosean Active Member

hi u can be very good content

18. alinaosean