1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Requesting Dumps for Oracle Exams- Food for thought

Discussion in 'Documents Section Discussions' started by Ramji, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Ramji

Ramji Forum Guru

Friends/Mod,

Think about the long term value/ sustainability of the reputation. Do you think openly asking for dumps for Oracle exams will not affect the reputation of the community.

Using the word Exam Materials in place of dumps/cheet sheets etc would be a better option, dont you think so. My 2 cents.
    Mod think it over .This forum is a good effort to break barriers to sharing knowledge especially in the ERP Oracle field whereby there is an ocean of information that keeps changing quickly.
    All opinions welcome
    ramji

2. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

I respect your input on this however no illl effects have been experienced by those who openly ask for dumps to pass exams. If you will read through some of those threads you will see:

1) We do not supply such dumps nor do we tell people where to find them.
    2) It is explained that using dumps to pass these exams will not provide any useful experience and that actually working with the products is the only way to accurately and properly prepare for such exams.

Please know your comments are noted.

3. Ramji

Ramji Forum Guru

Dear David,

Please explore the possibility of introducing a protocol so that guests and people who visit the community do not think it is a brain dump sharing site.
    Even if we share technical docs, workarounds, Project related stuff visibility and reputation will be lost.
    It would be a good idea to have a communication protocol. Leave it with the Mods.
    Ramji

4. zargon

Most do not so I believe such a 'protocol' is unnecessary. The reputation is NOT lost given the responses issued to those who ask for such dumps. I ask you again to please read through the threads of that nature and see the responses given. There sre so few requests for dumps due to how the group responds to them that I feel there is no need to introduce another restriction on the group.

5. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

Thanks Ramji, I always appreciate suggestions! I have in the last few weeks closed a few "Me too Dumps" type threads. No one has ever provided any Dumps here and the Document section where people share docs are refreshed (by me) once or twice every week to remove all junk/copyrighted stuff etc.

I will perhaps edit the "How to Use Club-Oracle" thread, to include that Do not post asking for dumps, as per your suggestion. However if someone starts a topic asking for such, the system will not automatically prevent them (like it does for links for new members, to prevent spam).

By the way, a warm welcome to the site and I was reading some of your responses and you have already provided a good contribution to the community! :)

6. Ramji

Ramji Forum Guru

Sadik,

The pleasure is equally mine. Having been associated with various IT/Sharing Forum since the 90's when Internet emerged, the suggestion was intended with Preservation in mind for the long term. Knowledge Sans frontiers, Knowledge Sans Barriers is something which needs to be pursued passionately without inviting legal or other complications.

David- the intention is not be policemen or introduce restraints but to impart a sense of self preservation for the group. Its a good idea to edit ''How to use club oracle''. I fully agree with you, there should be no unnecessary intervention and restrictions lest the ''Feel Good'' factor will be lost.
    Best Regards
    Ramji

7. zargon

Ramji.

As soon as I see such requests I respond so that all will know this group is not a source for such 'brain dumps'; this may be one reason why such requests have become few and far between. I have read such dumps before and found them to be lacking in substance and many times rife with errors due to the rush to publish such materials simply for the material (monetary) gain. We all make mistakes, however to publish such mistakes because the author or authors wanted to meet a deadline rather than meet the needs of their intended audience is a true disservice to the Oracle online community. Rote memorization is fine for learning the alphabet and multiplication tables but has no place in the various worlds of Oracle. I agree with your sentiment (as evidenced by my continued responses to such inquiries) and if what I'm doing constitutes a 'protocol' then it should be made public knowledge in the How To document. Apparently I misunderstood your intent with this request; my idea of a 'protocol' is a set of known rules implemented to achieve a given goal, and as such, in my mind, was asking for more restrictions on the group to actually prevent such posts from occurring (a ban, if you will, on the subject matter a member could post) and that I felt was unnecessary (as I stated earlier).

Welcome to the group -- we are a diverse bunch with a wide range of knowledge to share. Feel free to contribute your Oracle Apps knowledge -- there are many questions regarding this area of Oracle and the more people we have contributing the better the community will be. One thing I will ask -- if you choose to post specific code please test it first so all will know it performs as expected. There is nothing more disappointing or confusing to a person than to receive assistance and actual code only to find that code doesn't work as 'advertised'.

Again, welcome.

Sadik likes this.
  8. Ramji

Ramji Forum Guru

Dear David,

On the code part, I never depend on code from public forum. It will be suicide to get some code off the internet and apply it to a real life environment unless you have a really strong BCP in place (Business Continuity Plan) .

The fact is that the environment variables will be different in most cases and you cannot expect it to work intoto. If the objective is to save time, you cannot risk production downtime.

From a due diligence standpoint you can use such code as a quick reference for building your own and then put it through the migration path, testing and validating it across instances before finally promoting to production after obtaining stakeholder signoff.

Thank you for you welcoming responses.
    Ramji