1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Replicating Package changes

Discussion in 'Server Administration and Options' started by prashant, Jan 15, 2009.

1. prashant

prashant Forum Advisor

Hi Guys,

Need a small help. Following is the requirement:-

I have 2 instances say ORCL1 & ORCL2. I want to replicate the change in a package/stored procedure in ORCL1 to ORCL2. That is if i make a small change in my package/proc and comile in ORCL1, then same change should be applied & compiled in ORCL2.

Is this possible?

I checked the Advanced Replication feature provided by Oracle(procedural replication). But all that it does is replicate the call to a stored proc/package instead of editing it and compiling it.

Oracle version : 10.2.0.4

Regards,
    Prashant

2. tyro

tyro Forum Genius

I haven't tried it but i believe this should be possible through a db link and remote dependency checking. I suggest you read about remote dependency checking in Oracle Application Developer's Guide from Oracle documentation. There is something called the
    remote_dependencies_mode parameter which may be useful.

3. prashant

prashant Forum Advisor

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. Will check and revert. Also i am planning to explore my options in Oracle Streaming.

Regards,
    Prashant

4. prashant

prashant Forum Advisor

Hi Tyro,

The Remote Dependency feature does not satisfy the requirement. The replication is not at all a part of it. All it does is say for eg. if a Package contain an object which is referenced using a DB-Link ,then in what way should the changes to it be handled ( TIMESTAMP based or SIGNATURE based). This can be set using the parameter REMOTE_DEPENDENCIES_MODE.

Also, Streams does not support the same as it uses REDO logs for replication, whereas compiling a package will not generate a REDO.

Please suggest an Alternative.

My requirement is to replicate the Package changes across instance. Is there an OUT-OF-THE-BOX way to accomplish this?

Please suggest.

Regards,
    Prashant

5. apps_expert

apps_expert Forum Expert

sorry if i am asking the obvious, but if it's the same procedure and and it's two instances, if you change in one instance, why can't you change in another and re-compile?

secondly, can we use some kind of job scheduling to check for changes in one instance and recompile in the second?

6. prashant

prashant Forum Advisor

Hi,

Buddy!! Thank you for your reply. The actual requirement is among 15 instances across globe(time difference also comes into picture). If we can make it work among 2 instances than lesser effort would be required to configure it across 15 instances. Also to check the changes via job scheduling etc i need to use sys tables(obj$ etc) which our client will not allow. Is there a way to change and compile a package from Instance A in Instance B?

Thanks & Regards
    Prashant

7. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

Hi so have you been able to find a solution for replicating your packages across instances?

8. prashant

prashant Forum Advisor

Hi Sadik,

Apologies for the delayed reply. Tried replying on friday but was not able to connect to the website.

I have not been able to find a solution for the same. We have intimated our client that this requirement is not feasible as of now. Will let know if we find a way out to accomplish the same.

Regards,
    Prashant