1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Rel 12 - Defining a NEW Business Group

Discussion in 'Oracle HRMS & Payroll' started by charlie123123, Apr 28, 2009.

1. charlie123123

charlie123123 Active Member

I hope someone can shed some light as to WHY I am not getting a default security profile defined when I create a NEW Business Group (organization)

I have installed Rel 12.0.4 running on unix.
    This is a NEW install.

It works on Rel 11i, but in Rel 12 I do not get a Security Profile created automatically.
    Currently, the only business group I have is "Setup Business Group" and the only security profile I have is "Setup Business Group" (yes, the same name.. as this is seeded by oracle when you install a NEW enviroment.

Now, when I log onto a HRMS Super User resp, I created a NEW business group, but the security profile did not get created. The documentation for Rel 12 says that it should.

Anyone know what's wrong ?

Thank-you

2. apps_expert

apps_expert Forum Expert

hi charlie, you are getting confused between security groups and security profiles. The reason you are not getting a security profile for the new business group is because you have not enabled security groups.

However if you just want individual business groups restricted by security profiles per responsibility, you have to define a responsibility for use by application users of that business group and set the profile option,HR:Security Profile to that responsibility.

You should refer to Metalink Note 394083.1 for detailed explanation.

3. charlie123123

Great.... thank-you.. I will look into what you said and the link you supplied..
    Sorry.. it was late and I was tired... YES.. I meant SECURITY PROFILE... :)

Thank-you again
    Charlie123123 (Canada)

4. charlie123123

Thank-you for your HELP... however I still have 1 major issue regarding this problem.

Regarding NEW Install - Rel 12.0.4
    I checked the profile option for : Enable Security Groups

Value Updateable
    Site Level NO NO
    Application Level NULL NO
    Resp Level NULL NO
    User Level NULL NO

If I am unable to update the value for this profile option (System Admin resp) the how do I change it...
    or
    For REL12... is this still required to be changed to YES ?

I read this in the HRMS implementation manul - Rel 12

Step 40: Set up the Enable Security Groups option for your Security Model

• If you are using Standard HRMS security, ensure that the Enable Security Groups
    profile option is set to No at site and application level.

• If you are using Security Groups Enabled security, ensure that the Enable Security
    Groups profile option is set to Yes at the application level.

How do I know which Security Model I am using ?
    Currently, I can NOT change the profile value in my enviroment.

ps. I am trying to set up Rel12 -> Financials Org Structure (AP,AR.. etc)...
    I don't really care too much about HR...

I sure am confused..
    Are you ? Hehe :)

Thanks again
    Charlie123123

5. apps_expert

apps_expert Forum Expert

Well Ok I dug up the definitions and process for you. Which Security Model you prefer entirely depends on your organization's decision.

6. apps_expert

apps_expert Forum Expert

OK i just saw your P.S.

If you aren't too bothered with HRMS, I would suggest stick to the setting of the Standard Security Model.

7. charlie123123

Thank-you for you help...
    I am still not satisfied.... with what is happening..

I want to stay with STANDARD SECURITY MODEL ( 1 Resp -> 1 Business Group )
    therefore the profile option : Enable Multiple Security Groups = NO

I have 2 PC's

1 running REL-12
    1 running 11i

Rel12-> NEW clean install

1) Using the US HRMS Super User resp, I create a NEW business group, and saved the trx.
    Then when I queried up all the business groups, I only had 1 business group.
    "Setup Business Group", the new bg "New Business Group" was not displayed from the organization screen.

2) I then changed the profile value "HR Cross Business Group" to YES (just like in 11i)
    now, when I query up the business groups that I have defined, I see 2 BG's..
    (Setup Business Group" and "New Business Group" )... great.. so far so good :)

3) When I access the Security Profile screen.. I only see 1 security profile record.
    ("Setup Business Group") <--- security profile name associated with the business group
    ("Setup Business Group"
    - When I do the same thing using Rel 11i... I see my NEW Security Profile called the same as my NEW bg.... -> "New Business Group"

- Why does it not work using Rel 12 ?
    - Very strange...
    - The Enable Multiple Security Groups = NO for both 11i and R12

My thoughts are, that I should STILL get a default Security Profile every time I create a NEW business group.... in Rel 12... I am not getting one... WHY ?
    Again.. I would like to stay with the STANDARD SECURITY MODEL

8. charlie123123

Hello again...

The bottom-line is... Rel12... NEW install..

When I create a new business group, SHOULD a default Security Profile be automatically generated ?
    If I access the Security Profile screen, will I see the default Security Profile associated with my newly created business group ?

In 11i... it works, fine

In R12.. I don't see my default Security Profile associate with my new business group.

Can anyone help me... ?

Thank-you