1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

query to retrieve names of the employee based on specified letters.

Discussion in 'SQL PL/SQL' started by sharanu, Apr 17, 2015.

1. sharanu

sharanu Active Member

Code (SQL):

//Hi SELF learner here, please do NOT assume that simply i am posting questions here, done/doing homework.
    //I wanted TO find the name OF the employees, whose names HAVING a, d AND s letters IN their names.TABLE name IS EMP AND COLUMN IS ENAME.
    1)sharan
    2) david
    3)smith
    4)efgh

2. eras

eras Active Member

Code (SQL):

SELECT ....
    FROM ....
    WHERE instr(name, 'a') > 0
       AND instr(name, 'd') > 0
       AND instr(name, 's') > 0

sharanu likes this.
  3. sharanu

sharanu Active Member

HI eras,
    Thanks for the solution, but it will be good only when a column have less number of names, if a column has more number of names then its difficult to use instr, apart from this solution is there any other command/function to find the solution.

4. ocprep

ocprep Forum Advisor

It's not really clear what your objection to INSTR was. There are any number of ways to create such a filter. The regular expression functions in particular provide a very flexible method of searching. The following example uses the TRANSLATE function to eliminate all characters *except* the three you are searching for and then returns all non-NULL rows (i.e. rows where the name contains one or more of the three).

Code (Text):
    SELECT first_name
    FROM   HR.employees
    WHERE  TRANSLATE(LOWER(first_name), 'adsbcefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz', 'xxx') IS NOT NULL;

sharanu likes this.