1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Problem with TOAD on oracle database 10.2.0.4.0

Discussion in 'Other Development Tools' started by assmb01, Jan 12, 2009.

1. assmb01

assmb01 Active Member

Hello,

I have just installed TOAD 8.5.0.50g on my PC (windows xp sp2) to reach a database oracle 10.2.0.4.0 accommodated by a server Unix aix 5.3.
    When I try to connect on the base via TOAD, I obtain the following error message:
    Access violation at address 0129C064 in module ' TOAD.exe '. Read of address 00000018

What is that is needed a customer oracle 10g on my PC?

How to configure TOAD to reach the database?

Where what is what has to declare my ORACLE_HOME on my PC?

Where to put the TSN.ora on my PC?

Thank you in advance for your assistance

2. rajavu

rajavu Forum Guru

May be a silly question ,

Did you install Oracle client in your PC ?

3. assmb01

assmb01 Active Member

No I did not install oracle client on my PC.

Is these necessities to install Oracle Client on my PC ?

4. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

hi... let me explain

TOAD or any other tool will require an oracle home on your local computer. So you should install an oracle client software. In case you do not know, oracle client installs sql plus and other tools on your PC. You can obtain oracle client from

http://download.oracle.com/otn/nt/oracle10g/10201/10201_client_win32.zip

you will need an oracle userid password to download, just sign up because it's free. Remember it's quite a huge download so you will need a good internet connection. In case someone at you work place already has an oracle client it would be easier to install. Once you have installed the oracle client, there will be a tnsnames.ora file in the following location:

<ORACLE_HOME>/network/admin

When you will start TOAD there will be an option on the bottom right to select the correct ORACLE_HOME in case it isn't already selected.

DO these and let us know if everything went ok

5. tyro

tyro Forum Genius

instead of oracle client you can also try oracle instant client It is a lighter version and easier to download.

6. rajavu

rajavu Forum Guru

You can get the Oracle instant client from here

7. matt_1900

matt_1900 Active Member

Hi
    I followed the instructions as I had same problem as the person who posted the original query (I had installed TOAD, but not installed the client).

I have followed the link for the full client ([url - Oracle for Toad version]http:/..download.oracle.com/otn/nt/or...ient_win32.zip....

When I try to log into Toad and i get the message 'Toad ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified'.

I cannot find the tnsnames.ora file in the following location:
    <ORACLE_HOME>/network/admi.

I guess I have not installed the client properly. It extracted it once it was downloaded and clicked 'setup.exe' and kept clicking 'Next' until the wizard finished.
    However, I do now see 'OraClient10g_home1 in the 'Connection Using' dropdown in TOAD (which was not there before the installation of the client'. Even if I do manage to obtain a TNS names, how will I log on (I don't have a password, logon of database to log into.
    Many thanks for anticipated help with regard to this matter.

8. tyro

tyro Forum Genius

hi, the tnsnames.ora file is located at <ORACLE_HOME>/network/admin. You missed the "n" there.

You are getting the infamous 'Toad ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified'. error because TOAD is unable to either find tnsnames.ora file or an entry within tnsnames.ora which corresponds to your database.

Your client should have installed properly if you kept doing next, no issues there. But my question is where is the database? I mean which oracle database are you tring to connect to? Is it on your own PC? (then you wouldn't need a client in the first place) or is it over the network? If you know where the database is, find your tnsnames.ora or just create a text file and name it tnsnames.ora (the extension should be .ora and not tnsnames.ora.txt). There should be an entry in your tnsnames.ora as follows
    Code (Text):

[COLOR="Red"]HOME[/COLOR] =
      (DESCRIPTION =
        (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = [COLOR="Red"]localhost[/COLOR])(PORT = [COLOR="Red"]1521[/COLOR]))
        (CONNECT_DATA =
          (SERVER = DEDICATED)
          (SERVICE_NAME = [COLOR="red"]HOME[/COLOR])
        )
      )

Replace the text in red with your actual values. In TOAD select HOME(your service name) as the service to connect to.

9. matt_1900

matt_1900 Active Member

Hi
    Thanks a lot for getting back to me so promptly with the above explanation.
    As you said in your reply I do not actually have database to link to. I guess I need to install this via a download from the Oracle website.
    Just to confirm I am trying to install everything on a standalone PC - so as you said the client download was not necessary.
    I guess what I need to do is somehow download a working (cmd line?) Oracle database and somehow connect to it via TOAD? Once the Oracle database is installed I will be able to complete the TOAD Server Login details (using the 'Oracle Root' connection) and log in. I just want to practice writing SQL queries in Toad (Oracle).
    I have had a look at the Oracle website and am a bit overwhelmed by the number of possible software downloads. I just wondered if you knew what Oracle download is missing. My PC is a Vista (32 bit) machine. Apologies if the answer to this query is very straightforward.

10. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

In case you have still not solved your problem, all you need to do is install the oracle database server on your machine. Download oracle database software for vista from the link below.

http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/database/oracle10g/htdocs/10203vista.html

It's a heavy download so u'll need a good connection.

11. vandora

vandora Active Member

hi all,

I am not sure if my issue is related. i installed Oracle Client as well as TOAD. I set up TNSNames 7 can connect via oracle's SQL plus to a remote database using SSH tunnels. It connects fine.
    However when i try to use TOAD to connect to the same remote database, I get an error saying "TNS could not resolve connect identifier specified". TOAD does manage to pick up the tnsnames entries. It just cant seem to connect for some reason.
    Any ideas? I am sure I missed somehting obvious.
    Oh .. yes I do have my SSH connection active at the time I am tryiong to use TOAD.

Kind regards Vandora

12. vandora

vandora Active Member

Hi all,

I just joined this community yesterday. I have a question about connectivity to Oracle on a linux server via TOAD. I have Oracle client installed on my PC and tnsmanes is set up & I can connect to the database visa sqlplusw.exe succesfully.
    But when i try to connect visa TOAD on the same PC where i was able to use sqlplus, it gives me an error "TNS could not resolve the connect identifier specified"
    I connect using an SSH tunnel & it connects fine with sqlplus but just not with TOAD.
    i tested with tnsping & it seems fine.
    Any help would be appreciated.