1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Performance Tuning for Oracel pl sql developers

Discussion in 'SQL PL/SQL' started by arunkumar546, May 6, 2013.

1. arunkumar546

arunkumar546 Active Member

Hi All,

I'm newbie to performance tuning.I dn't know ,how can i start perfoemnce tuning.I'm confused.Any one please suggest which material is easy lo learn
    performance tuning and how will i approach permonance tuning.

Thanks to All.........

2. DTSIGuy

DTSIGuy Forum Advisor

I would suggest you clarify what sector of performance tuning you are interested in. Database? SQL? PL/SQL? While the environments are inter-related to a degree the aspect of actual tuning is quite different as each is a discipline unto itself.

3. krasnoslobodtsev_si

krasnoslobodtsev_si Forum Genius

4. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

As others have already mentioned your question is too vague to answer. Performance tuning isn't one single operation or area of concern, there are many and depending upon which area you need to tune the process will be different for each different area.

Before you begin to think about performance tuning you need to understand the basics of how Oracle works; the Concepts Guide is an excellent place to begin. Without this basic knowledge it will be difficult, if not impossible, to do any worthwhile performance tuning.

5. Tom Morello

Tom Morello Active Member

Hi,

Introduction to SQL Tuning
    An important facet of database system performance tuning is the tuning of SQL
    statements. SQL tuning involves three basic steps:
    1. Identifying high load or top SQL statements that are responsible for a large
    share of the application workload and system resources, by reviewing past SQL
    execution history available in the system.
    2. Verifying that the execution plans produced by the query optimizer for these
    statements perform reasonably.
    3. Implementing corrective actions to generate better execution plans for poorly
    performing SQL statements.
    These three steps are repeated until the system performance reaches a satisfactory
    level or no more statements can be tuned.

Salam

Tom Morello

6. bkoniki

bkoniki Active Member

Start reading the book "Oracle Performance Survival Guide A Systematic Approach to Database Optimization" by Guy Harrison

7. jagadekara

jagadekara Forum Guru

8. Ecor

Ecor Active Member

Good Link.....