1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

OS Recommendation for Oracle DB 11g for pc with 2gb RAM

Discussion in 'Installation - Unix and Unix Like' started by steve, Feb 12, 2015.

1. steve

steve Active Member

Greetings,

I am currently using windows server 2008 R2 for Oracle Database 11g. The operating system is using without running Oracle about 0.7 GO.
    I am wondering if switching to Oracle Linux / RHEL / Centos would be better, because my PC has only 2 GB RAM and a dual-core AMD CPU of 2.8.
    I need to make some tests which assume running a virtual machine along with Oracle DB 11g.

So, I will have the
    1 host operating system ( I need here a recommendation, which is lighter)
    2 Oracle DB 11g Server
    3 A virtual machine running some old OS just to connect to the database and run some queries

It is advisable to switch form windows server to a Unix environment? Or, what OS do you think would suite my needs?

Thank you in advance.

2. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

With that small amount of RAM neither O/S is going to perform well. Linux will probably be easier on the CPU and memory and won't require memory-resident services running to get the database and listener started. Depending on the size of your database (SGA, PGA, buffers) you may need to bite the bullet and buy more RAM. Running a virtual, and trying to run Oracle from that, with only 2Gb of RAM is, well, foolishly optimistic. You need much more RAM before you can be successful with such a configuration, regardless of which operating system is running.

3. steve

steve Active Member

If I buy 2GO additional RAM having a total of 4GO would it be enough? The CPU is AMD Athlon 5600+(Dual-Core) at 2.81 GHz..
    ---------------------------

Ok. Thanks.
    The idea was to run a minimalistic os under VM to connect to the database running under host machine...
    I understand that I do not have enough RAM...

But I have other computer, a laptop which is behind the same router(via wi fi). Is it possible to have the desktop act as a server(maybe Apache Tomcat) for webpage and connect to it from laptop?
    Thank you again and sorry for offtopic...(if it is)

4. ocprep

ocprep Forum Advisor

One thing you need to understand is that using a virtual machine makes your memory problem worse rather than better. Yes -- VM makes many pieces of hardware appear out of thin air. Memory is not one of them. If you boot a Windows PC, and then run a Linux virtual machine on that PC, then you have the memory and other resources being used by Windows *plus* the memory and resources being used by Linux... all coming out of what is available to Oracle. It doesn't matter how minimalistic the OS being virtualized is, You still experience a net loss.

Skip the VM entirely and boot directly to Linux. For best results, either do not install the GUI or at least boot your machine to a runlevel that is command-line only when you want Oracle to perform at the fastest crawl possible given your memory restrictions.