1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Oralce Archive Logs and RHEL Windows Share

Discussion in 'Installation - Unix and Unix Like' started by clozarks, May 16, 2010.

1. clozarks

clozarks Active Member

Created Linux cifs mount to Windows shared drive. Windows share Mount is /mnt/backups. Database is on Linux RHEL x86-64. RMAN can write backups and archive log backups to the /mnt/backups directory. The oracle user that installed oracle and created the database can read and write to the file system. I am attempting to write archived redo logs to the local drive and the mounted drive. But when I set the archive log dest parameter 2 to the mount location and attempt a log switch the database cannot seem to write to the mount and I get the following alert log error:
    Errors in file /u01/app/oracle/admin/ndevt/bdump/ndevt_arc7_12595.trc:
    ORA-27052: unable to flush file data
    Linux-x86_64 Error: 5: Input/output error
    Additional information: 1
    ORA-19510: failed to set size of 1657 blocks for file "/mnt/backups/iris/ndevt/archiv
    e/ndevt_1_974_715519783.arc" (blocksize=512)
    ORA-27045: unable to close the file
    Linux-x86_64 Error: 13: Permission denied
    Additional information: 4
    Mount is created with uid=oracle,gid=dba,file_mode=0770,dir_mode=0770 permissions. Also tried 0777, but it doesn't matter. I did not restart the database after changing the log parameters. Any ideas why the database cannot write to the mount point while RMAN and the oracle user can? There is 5 TB free space so it is not space. File permissions on all the mount directories is 770.
    Thank you,
    Curt Swartzlander
    DBA
    cswartzlander@nwacc.edu

2. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

What is the O/S block size on the Windows machine? What is the O/S block size for the Red Hat machine? My guess is the Windows machine is using a far larger block size than the Linux machine.

clozarks likes this.
  3. clozarks

clozarks Active Member

Thank you I appreciate the reply. Is there a way to mount the share and set the block size? How can this be resolved? And Are the RMAN backups affected by this? They seem to working fine.

4. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

No, you can't adjust the O/S blocksize and you likely can't resolve this. It's not likely you could use the archivelogs stored on a Windows platform for recovery of a database on a Linux platform. The RMAN backups aren't affected as they are direct writes to the Windows drive and are allocated with Windows parameters. A question remains to be answered: have you tested recovery from this configuration? Writing rman backups to a Windows server is one thing; having the ability to recover your database using these backups is another.

clozarks likes this.
  5. clozarks

clozarks Active Member

Have not tested RMAN recovery yet. RMAN running backup directly to Linux server then copying to the Windows mount. It is my understanding from the RMAN documentation that there is only 1 actual backup when you use:
    CONFIGURE DATAFILE BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 2;
    CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 2;
    And the Disk configuration goes to Linux first, then Windows: CONFIGURE CHANNEL DEVICE TYPE DISK FORMAT '/u03/exports/backups/%d_%T_%U','/mnt/backups/winserv/%d_%T_%U';

However, having said that I have not attempted recovery or duplication with the backups from the Windows share yet. We just started this process last week. We have been copying RMAN Linux backups to Windows server for years (using ftp) and have done duplications on Linux with those backups. We will of course be testing recovery asap. Thanks again for the help.