1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Oracle Web Content Management (WCM) Development

Discussion in 'Oracle Webcenter Suite (formerly Oracle ECM)' started by rnavduri, Mar 11, 2009.

1. rnavduri

rnavduri Forum Advisor

Hi,

We are planning to implement WCM to replace our public website. I am wondering what are all components we need to develop to setup WCM? I can think of below and please let me know any missing components I need for WCM implementation

1. Templates
    2. IDOC scripts
    3. Some configuration files

Infact the reason I am asking this question is, someone asked me what will the development team will develop. I have told them above. Are there any missing components to develop?

Thanks in advance.

Raj

2. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

hi Rajesh

For a complete Web Content Management implementation the components offered by oracle are:
    • Connection Server
    • Content Portlet Suite
    • Content Publisher
    • Site Studio
    • Site Studio Publishing Utility
    Each of them have a separate utilization in your WCM implementation. Regarding development processes, the steps can be:

• Create a site hierarchy
    • Create a Home Page
    • Add graphics and frames to a layout page
    • Define Contribution Regions
    • Set up CSS for contributors
    • Add default validation scripts to elements
    • Allow contributors access to object properties forms
    • Create primary pages
    • Extend your layout page with lists
    • Create Secondary pages
    • Use Dynamic Converter
    • Develop Dynamic convertor templates

Hope this gives a little guideline

3. Sadik

btw oracle's site studio designer guide is located at the link below

Table of Contents

4. rnavduri

rnavduri Forum Advisor

Thanks Sadik for the prompt reply. The more I know about UCM more questions are poping in my mind.

We are planning to setup our production environment and I have some thing in mind for the production architecture. But I need your expert comment.

We want have 3 tiers for our site.

1. DMZ - I have my webserver which will act a reverse proxy and also does the caching
    2. I have my UCM servers along with Inbound refinery (Conversion server with publisher)
    3. I have my file system, DB and internal user who will publish the data.

Now in a typical Contribute/Conversion architecture how can setup my environment.

Regds
    Rajesh

5. Sadik

Hmmm like i said in another post too it might be a good idea to keep your webserver and UCM content server on a single tier. You can separate the conversion server on tier 2 and have your database on tier 3. The filesystem (vault/weblayout) can be located on a SAN if your organization is already using SAN architecture.

This is also more or less what John advises on his blogtoo.

6. rnavduri

rnavduri Forum Advisor

Sadik,

The reason I cannot keep both webserver and content server as in our current setup we have these webservers in tier 1 DMZ handle the traffic. we cannot put any app servers or Content servers because as per our standards we have to keep any app servers or content server behind second tier which is another DMZ for us. So I cannot put both web and content server on the same tier in my case.
    This is how I want to architect..
    tier1 - web server - this will be on Linux box -- This web server already present

tier2 - Content server and Contribution server - These will be on two different boxes (these are new servers) (I assume that this contribution server is nothing but my inbound refinery [which is conversion with publisher as per John's diagram])

tier3 - File System and DB

Scenario 1: Data flow for Web users (Consumers): Using internet user will access our website --> web server --> Content server-->Filesystem/DB In this case we are not at all touching our contribution server (inbound refinery)

Scenario 2: Data flow from Internal users (Contributors): Since these users are internal they are in tier3. So from tier3 they will access Content server which is connected to Contribution server. When they contribute some files they will go through content server--> Contribution Server --> File system.

This is how I am seeing my architecture. Let me know your thoughts on this..

Rajesh

7. Andy_Weaver

Andy_Weaver Active Member

Hey Rajesh,

Here's my thoughts:

Tier 1: That will work fine with a linux box running a reverse proxy.
    Tier 2: Consumption Content Server (just a regular UCM content server except it's main function is to provide content to the proxy). Note that this server will also have a webserver on it that the proxy server in tier 1 makes requests against.
    Tier 3: Everything else, meaning Contribution Content Server with automatic replication to the Consumption Server, filesystem, db, inbound refinery.

Not sure if that helps or caused more confusion :)

Andy Weaver - Software Consultant
    Fishbowl Solutions

8. rnavduri

rnavduri Forum Advisor

Andy,

This is what I want. Thanks for the suggestion. Somehow I always under assumption (influenced by some of the architecture diagrams I came across) that inbound refinery and contribution server is same. You have cleared by that assumption.

Coming to the webserver along with Content server, that is how I want. Because my internal use will use web server in tier 2 to access content server which also in tier2.

Now it is making sense to me to keep inbound refinery in tier3 as it is something to do with contributers who are from tier 3 or from intranet.

One small clarification, how can I setup my contribution server on different box. If I am not wrong during content server installation I can specify the location.

Thanks in advance.

Rajesh

9. Andy_Weaver

Andy_Weaver Active Member

The contribution and consumption servers are actually separate installs, you would just perform the install on the particular boxes that you need the content servers on.

10. manchanahari

manchanahari Guest

hi Sadik

I am new to Oracle UCM and need your advice...

One of our client wants to integrate Oracle UCM with MS Share point portal..

so i want to know what all things to be considered for integration and do we have any one-one mapping of Oracel UCM features with MS Share point portal... like Document libraries in ms share point is similar to document management in Oracle UCM etc...

Appreciate your earliest response.

Thanks in Advance

Regards
    Hari