1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Oracle UCM documents and path limitations ?

Discussion in 'Oracle Webcenter Suite (formerly Oracle ECM)' started by TSR, Nov 15, 2011.

1. TSR

TSR Guest

Hello all,

While working with a fresh UCM installation, it is quite difficult to find valuable document about UCM document management limitations :
    - are there any unsupported chars in document filename / path ?
    - Is there a limit for the path (URL) size ? (maybe 256 char ?)
    And if using several sub-folder, just wondering how many sub levels can be managed...
    - file extension limitations : which extensions are natively supported, and which one are not ?

>> Do you know if there is any official Oracle documentation on this subject ?

Thank you for any input!
  2. dcell59

dcell59 Forum Advisor

The file and folder names need to be valid for the filesystem on the system that the server runs on. I have not seen any documentation that specifies what special characters are invalid, but DIS doesn't like these characters in filenames: \/:*?"<>|

I don't know if there are server limits for the number of levels. I don't think you are limited to 256 characters in the path, but you may be limited by HTTP GET URL length (in which case you would use POST). I think this may depend on which type of folders you are using (Folders_g vs. Framework Folders). I've seen some pretty deep directory structures being used without any problems.

Do you have a specific application in mind? That is, do you have limitations you are planning to implement and just need to make sure that you aren't exceeding them with UCM?

I don't understand what you mean by file extension limitations. What do you mean by "natively supported"? As far as I know, UCM will accept any types of files. There may be special features available for some file types, such as HTML conversion using Dynamic Converter and the Unbreakable links supplied by the DesktopTag component, but I don't think any types of files would be rejected based on extension.

For documentation, you can go to http://download.oracle.com/docs/ - note that UCM has recently been renamed WebCenter Content, so you'll need to look in the Fusion Middleware section for WebCenter Content to find the latest docs for the Content Server.
  3. har123i

har123i Guest