1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Oracle UCM define Rule

Discussion in 'Oracle Webcenter Suite (formerly Oracle ECM)' started by guliflower, Mar 12, 2010.

1. guliflower

guliflower Active Member

Hello,

could you please help me with the following upon checking in a new document (in a profile):
    1. use a default value for a filed (in a rule).
    Simply defining a default value causes no problems, but as soon as I change the defining condition, i.e.
    if #active.dDocAuthor like "sysadmin" (or whatever) the dafault value is not added. It is created only if there is no "If " condition. Neither when defining through Conditions Tab, nor through Custom tab.

2. update default value depending on the selected value of another field.
    Even if the default value have been defined (e.g. Comments= Checklist), how can I update it, if for example I change the value of another field (select any value).

3. How to set the revision number not increasable, i want to have a document type, that can be edited as many times as needed, but I do not wan to keep all the old revisions, because this document is accessed and edited too often to keep all the versions.

Thanks a lot! Would be also glad you can suggest any good links about UCM, I've been reading only the oracle library documents. they define only the obvious functionalities :(

2. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

Strange, it should work. Could you paste the code here (can be seen in the custom code box)

Are you saying that on the Check-In screen, when a user selects a value in say Filed A, the value of Field B should change automatically?

If yes, that can only be done by Javascript. You will have to write a custom Javascript component for that.

If a document is checked out- checked in the revision no. will increment. That is a standard feature of any document management system.

Have you gone through some of these:

http://www.club-oracle.com/forums/oracle-ucm-stellent-site-studio-documentation-t683/

3. guliflower

guliflower Active Member

For this example I added a medata field for HR, namely "HR" status. What I want to achieve that whenever the HR status =1 (is a dependent choice list, 1= Fired) then the field xComments should be populated with "Let him go". Configuring this rule for a a default value didnt work; probably because there is no default value for HR status. (please, correct if I am wrong).
    Then I defined the rule for a derived value, that is the text for the derived value of the field xComments:
    <$if #active.xHRStatus like "1"$>
    <$dprDerivedValue="Let him go"$>
    <$endif$>

Why would you think it is not working?

To me given that what you say is true, then I do not see why would you use If then in rules. What I was thinking, may be if I define rules with default values for different profiles and then define if-then global rules which check the defaults of the profile rules and populate the dependent fields, but still without dinymic functionality it all makes no sense.
    Doest there exist a sample Javascript for Dummies, so I could just enter/configure my variables and values? I have never learned or programmed with it.

:rolleyes: Thanks a lot!

4. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

The rules are all evaluated during page load. SO your default value will appear if your other filed value is already set before page load. Similarly the derived field gets computed only after the check-in button is pressed. What you want is that field values should change depending on user's interactions after the page has loaded. Am I right?

If yes, what you need is AJAX or asynchronous javascript. Even with Javascript your field values will change only when the user presses the button or takes some action.

You should look at intelligently achieving what you want by default and derived values if you don't want to make a custom component. Alternately you can create a simple javascript component. You should read Bex Huff's Book on Content Server Development to get more insight into the content server's technology.

guliflower likes this.