1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Oracle not avail, ORA-01034 & ORA-27101

Discussion in 'Installation - Windows' started by Popeye.Tom, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Popeye.Tom

Popeye.Tom Active Member

Hi all,

>>>>RESOLVED<<<<< Thanks! (Even though the database sid "wind" was empty, I had failed to upgrade using DBUA or manually. As soon as I did this, all is good.)

OK, I've gone and done it again (messed up). I hope someone can help guide me out of this, I thought I was doing OK. I'll try to be concise and yet provide enough details. Thank you in advance for wading through this. I've searched this forum and others, I'm not the first with this pair of ORA errors, but the other threads did not help me resolve this. I will be cross posting this to other forums, but not to different discussion areas here.

Two questions:
    1. What did I do wrong, what should I have done before running/after running patch set? (I have the Oracle documentation for the patch, but I got confused/lost in all the info on clusters & the like.)
    2. What can I do to recover? (Other than scrape completely and start over, that I seem to be able to accomplish.)

I have a production system now running 10.2.0.5 on Windows Server 32. I created a dump and was rehosting to a new server to test upgrade of 3rd party application that sits over Oracle (PTC's Windchill) The new server is running server 2003 64-bit. I had Oracle 10.2.0.4 installed from a previous Windchill upgrade trial. I was applying the 10.2.0.5 patch set to the new server before importing the dump but now it throws the following errors when I attempt to login to sqlplus as system/<pwd>@sid:

ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
    ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist

How I got here:

a. Before starting I was able to login to SQL*Plus, 10.2.0.4.0 as system/<pwd>@sid. I dropped the PTC Windchill database user with cascade, successful.

b. In Window's Services I stopped OracleServiceWIND, Oracle_HomeTNSListener and OracleDBConsloewind. These were the only Oracle services running.

c. Ran Setup from Patch downloaded from Oracle to start OUI. Ora-Home identified, patch set successfully installed. Log file for installActions repors "The installation of Oracle Database 10g Release 2 Patch Set 4 was successful." Log file written reports same.

d. Opened a command window and attempted sql*plus login as system, failed with errors noted above.

e. Checked in Window's Services, all Oracle services were started. Ran >netstat -abnp tcp, tnslistener.exe showed listening on port 1521. Oracle Net Configuration Assistant show Listener configured on port 1521

f. Connected: sys as sysdba, reported "Connected to an idle instance." sql>exit

g. Ran >lsnrctl status, reports version correct, listener.ora, ~.log. Service "wind" has 1 instance. Instance "wind", stauts UNKNOWN, has 1 handler for this service....

h. logged in sys as sysdba, reported "Connected to an idle instance. " Ran >startup open; output reported:
    Oracle instance started.
    Total System Global Area
    Fixed Size
    Variable Size
    ...blah blah...
    Database Mounted.
    ORA-01092: ORACLE instance terminated. Disconnect forced

I'm at a loss. Windows services appears to have all my Oracle services running. But, I cannot log into SQL*Plus as the system/pwd@sid which I've always done as a test before importing the dump. Any thoughts, suggestions?

Thank you so much for your time and help from a neophyte.

Sincerely,
    tom

2. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

You have no database named 'wind' running in the 10.2.0.5.0 home; it's still running under the 10.2.0.4 home. Change the ORACLE_HOME environment variable and also the ORACLE_HOME string in the listner.ora file to point to the new 10.2.0.5 installation; also you will likely need to modify the Oracle service with oradim to point it to the new Oracle home as well. Once these tasks are completed restart the services and you should then have success in connecting. Another issue might be that the service isn't configured to automatically start the instance; use oradim to correct that.

3. Popeye.Tom

Popeye.Tom Active Member

Thank you for the reply David,

I did not have to edit either the ORACLE_HOME variable or the listener file.

I ran the patch set using the existing Home and path identified by the OUI. The mistake that was pointed out to me on the Oracle OTN forum was that even though I had dropped the Windchill database user, guest w/ cascade, the database sid 'wind' still existed. This database was still at 10.2.0.4 and I needed to run the Upgrade Assistant or manually complete the upgrade on the database after installing the 10.2.0.5 patch set.

As soon as I had the DBUI run an ungrade on the empty database wind I was able to connect to sql*plus as system/<pwd>@wind just fine. I quit the sql session and imported my dump file into wind and that was successful.

Sincerely,
    Tom