1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Oracle Item Master best standards

Discussion in 'Oracle SCM & Manufacturing' started by raxy, Jun 12, 2009.

1. raxy

raxy Active Member

Hi,

I'm Raxy and am relatively new to the Oracle world. I am will be assisting with a new installation and wanted to know if there is a best in class format for creating items.

Thanks in adavance.

2. apps_expert

apps_expert Forum Expert

well not really. Items are the basic building block of Oracle Apps and what parameters you activate for your items depends on the hundreds of different combinations of business needs, whether it is a stockable item or goods or service or OSP or many such combination. There is no one rule fits all definition. I suggest you go through the Inventory user's guide to build up your basics.

3. raxy

raxy Active Member

Thanks apps expert.

In as far as naming convention/format what's best practise - Noun, adjective, vendor catalogue is typically the format I've used and see in use.

4. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

Well the naming conventon would almost always be decided by the client or the company using it. See any company implementing oracle apps would already have a list of items and they would decide according to their business logic what information they want to keep in their Item code.