1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Oracle Golden Gate

Discussion in 'General' started by prashant, May 6, 2011.

1. prashant

prashant Forum Advisor

Hi,

Has anyone used Oracle Golden gate as a replication/Disaster Recovery solution?

Following is my scenario:-

We have 2 sites with same configuration as following:-

Site 1: Oracle 11gR2 Standard Edition 2-Node RAC (Grid Infra) on Solaris 10 Sparc 64
    Site 2: Oracle 11gR2 Standard Edition 2-Node RAC (Grid Infra) on Solaris 10 Sparc 64

Our requirement is to keep the two sites in Sync. Initially we considered Oracle Streams as a possible option, but that was ruled out as Streams Capture process is not a part of standard edition, and Enterprise Edition(EE) would be costly especially considering the fact that Oracle RAC is a paid option with EE. Now I am exploring Oracle Golden Gate (GG) as a replication choice as it can be availed with Standard edition with some extra cost (still total cost is much less than EE).

Can someone suggest/guide me whether Oracle GG can be considered as a substitute for Oracle Streams? The comparison here is between ORACLE-ORACLE databases on Sparc platforms(homogeneous).

Also, kindly let me know if GG can replace Oracle Dataguard as a disaster recovery solution. We can keep site2 either active or passive. The above scenario is if we keep site2 active. I asked this question as Oracle Dataguard is not Available with Standard Edition.

If anyone can throw some light on complexities involved, stability aspects and shortcomings with Oracle Golden Gate as Replication and Disaster Recovery Solution, I would be really grateful.

Thanks in Advance.

Best Regards,
    Prashant

2. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

Golden Gate is glorified Streams, including the data type limitations on replication. Unless your goal is a logical standby which may not contain all changes made to the source data because the following types are unsupported for the capture process:

SecureFile CLOB, NCLOB, and BLOB
    BFILE
    ROWID
    User-defined types (including object types, REFs, varrays, and nested tables)
    XMLType stored object relationally or as binary XML
    The following Oracle-supplied types: Any types, URI types, spatial types, and media types

then Golden Gate is not a viable DR option as any data in such columns will not be replicated to the destination database, which could result in a loss of service in a disaster situation.

Your organization really needs to consider upgrading to EE and configuring a proper physical standby configuration.

prashant likes this.
  3. prashant

prashant Forum Advisor

Hi,

Just to add, ROWIDs, BLOB,CLOB,NCLOB & Secure Files are supported with Oracle Golden Gate Replication.

User Defined Types are supported if both Source & Destination have the same structure.

Following is the list of unsupported Datatypes in Golden Gate:-

● ORDDICOM
    ● ANYDATA
    ● ANYDATASET
    ● ANYTYPE
    ● BFILE
    ● MLSLABEL
    ● TIMEZONE_ABBR
    ● TIMEZONE_REGION
    ● URITYPE
    ● UROWID

Following link gives complete details on the same(Page 12):-

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E18101_01/doc.1111/e17799.pdf

As mentioned by Zargon Oracle Dataguard is the best option when considered as a Disaster Recovery solution between 2 Oracle Databases.

Best Regards,
    Prashant

Sadik likes this.