1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Oracle Enterprise Manager Controls

Discussion in 'Server Administration and Options' started by Anne, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Anne

Anne Forum Advisor

Controls of an Oracle enterprise manager

Oracle Enterprise Manager has three releases till date popularly known as Oracle Enterprise Manager Database Control, Oracle Enterprise Manager Application Server Control and Oracle Enterprise Manager Grid Control.

Oracle Enterprise Manager Grid Control

It helps in establishing centralized management functionality for systems that run both Oracle and Non-Oracle technologies. It is very helpful in reducing both complexity and cost of managing computing environment with grids. It is capable of providing security, end-to-end monitoring, provisioning, administration and configuration management. It is used to manage situations in which you have to deal with application servers and databases. It is also used to monitor and manage platforms such as BEA weblogic, NetApp Filers, Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft .NET etc. along with managing Oracle deployment platform multiple instances.

The architecture of Oracle Enterprise Manager Grid Control comprises of three components, namely,
    1. collection agent or Oracle management Agent,
    2. aggregation agent or Oracle Management Server and
    3. repository agent or Oracle Management Repository.

Database administrators can view the status information of the services and system from the web pages generated by aggregation agent or Oracle Management Server. Oracle Management Repository can be made highly available and fault tolerant if we run it across multiple nodes on Oracle RAC. Most of the activities of Oracle Enterprise Manager are performed usign Oracle Management Agents that run on managed nodes as an autonomous proxy processes. Oracle Management Agents does monitoring and execution activities for Oracle Enterprise Manager. All communication is done using Hyper Text Transfer Protocol or HTTP.

Oracle Enterprise Manager Grid Control is very helpful for multi-tier Internet applications as it offers deep diagnostics, rich transaction and performance monitoring for end user that results in improving the service levels.

Oracle Enterprise Manager Database Control

Oracle Enterprise Manager Database Control is installed automatically when we install the oracle database. It helps to set up standards and manages your Oracle database for ease of use. There are various navigational features in Oracle Enterprise Manager Database Control such as property pages, drill down links and suggested links to assist you. You can perform various tasks and activities using Oracle Enterprise Manager Database Control. Some of them are:

• Administrative tasks
    • Backup of Database
    • Database Retrieval
    • Importing Database
    • Exporting Database
    • Managing User Security
    • View Database Status

You can access the Oracle Enterprise Manager Database Control to grant privileges or roles for users to access the management functions of the database.

Oracle Enterprise Manager Application Server Control

Oracle Enterprise Manager Application Server Control is very useful in situations where you have to monitor varoius components of an Oracle Application Server. It provides assistance in understanding end-user performance, web application availability, transaction performance and various other characteristics of your database environment.

Various distinctive features of Oracle Enterprise Manager Application Server Control are unparalleled manageability, adaptive management automation, leading platform for Service Oriented Architecture or SOA, unmatched dependability, extreme scalability and is a basis for application grid.

Therefore, Oracle Enterprise Manager Application Server is known to be the best way to develop, deploy and integrate various enterprise applications.
  2. Arju

Arju Forum Expert

In order to connect oracle enterprise manager as a normal user he need several privileges and these privilege depends all also on database version.

Prior to oracle 8i SELECT_CATALOG_ROLE was needed and this role would created by running script sc_role.sql.

Prior to oracle 9i but after or from oracle 8i the SELECT_CATALOG_ROLE is there and you must be granted this role in order to connect to oracle enterprise manager.

After and from oracle 9i this permission behavior is changed. From oracle 9i and later a user need to be granted SELECT ANY DICTIONARY privilege in order to connect to EM.

Suppose I will create a user named ARJU2 and to user ARJU2 I will allow to connect through EM then my command will be,

Code (Text):
    SQL> grant create session, select any dictionary to arju2 identified by a;

Grant succeeded.
    Now connect to EM as user ARJU and you will see ARJU2 can connect and see reports.