1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Oracle ECM/SharePoint integration

Discussion in 'Oracle Webcenter Suite (formerly Oracle ECM)' started by joojacob, Jan 19, 2009.

1. joojacob

joojacob Active Member

Hi everybody,

I’m currently doing a thesis on Oracle ECM. The central questions my thesis seeks to answer is if a combination between Oracle ECM and Microsoft SharePoint is technically possible and economically viable.

I’ve found an Oracle whitepaper called “Getting the most out of Oracle ECM and SharePoint” in which it states that Oracle has webparts that facilitate the integration with SharePoint.

I haven’t found any real life case of a Oracle ECM/SharePoint integration.

I’m curious to know if anybody on this site has implemented SharePoint and Oracle?

2. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

Technically possible ,maybe yes... economically viable or practical... NO!

I have found a few cases of people migrating from sharepoint to UCM but haven't come across anyone who wants to shell out cash to both microsoft and oracle! :p

3. andre.almeida

andre.almeida Active Member

Sadik,

What the advantage of UCM instead Sharepoint?
    What's the best of this 2 systems?

4. joojacob

joojacob Active Member

So no real life cases of Oracle ECM/SharePoint combinations?

It’s not really a matter of shelling out cash for Oracle and Microsoft.(Oracle would be the winner in all area except integration with Microsoft Office and the cost of software)

The situations I have in mind are the following:
    - A company is already using SharePoint and comes to the realization that it doesn’t meet its ECM needs. It wants to keep using SharePoint for the collaboration/Document Management features but needs imaging and more advanced Information Rights Management functionality
    - In order to comply which new legislation a company needs to implement Enterprise wide Record Management. This will also include content being stored in SharePoint’s SQL server databases.
    Sadik could you please elaborate why you think it’s not practical?

5. andre.almeida

andre.almeida Active Member

You mean UCM integration with Sharepoint.
    Yes it is possible. Oracle delivers connector to do that, read in Sharepoint repository and show them in UCM.

6. ILINX

ILINX Active Member

You can find a very informative presentation on this subject at imagesource website. I would have posted the whole address but I am new and I don't have privleges yet.
    ILINX SharePoint connectors for UCM and IPM are available.

7. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

what ILINX is talking about is the ILINX UCM Sharepoint connector from Imagesource which is a proprietory product from imagesource.

8. joojacob

joojacob Active Member

Thank you Ilinx. This information is incredibly valuable.

I see that Ilinx has connectors for Oracle UCM and Oracle IPM (Image Process Management).

I’m trying to build a business case for two scenarios:
    1. A company wants to use UCM as primary ECM application and use SharePoint to access the information in UCM.
    2. A company wants to use SharePoint as the primary ECM application and extend it with products from the Oracle ECM suite.
    Scenario 1 seems to be very solid.

Scenario 2 raises a couple of questions like:
    - Why would a company choose Oracle to extend SharePoint if there are alternatives in the SharePoint ecosystem?
    - Why would a company choose to put a lot of effort into adapting SharePoint if it has a better product like Oracle UCM to choose from?

A possible answer to these questions is:
    A company has invested in Oracle middleware solutions and has a strategic plan to continue investing in Oracle. The company doesn’t have a far going ECM strategy yet but it uses Microsoft Office SharePoint Server for its intranet and collaboration capabilities. It is aware that it can use SharePoint for ECM purposes without having to spend money on licensing for SharePoint itself.

A successful SharePoint ECM deployment(extended with Oracle ECM suite products) could demonstrate the business case for a more advanced ECM deployment.

I'm curious to know what you guys think of this

9. MFLucky7

MFLucky7 Guest

I am doing something like that. SharePoint as front end and UCM backend workhorse. What is the licencing impact? What are WebParts and how do they make this feasible?

Thanks
    Mark

10. jpv

jpv Active Member

My company has Sharepoint licenses for all 4000 users purchased at group level, but we run most of our internal systems on Oracle. Is there any way that we can use Oracle UCM as a back end store for Sharepoint? I noticed there is a JCR adapter for Sharepoint which allows WebCenter to use Sharepoint as a backend, I need the opposite.

11. notepad

notepad Guest

If I understand correctly, ie. you are want to use Sharepoint's front-end with UCM as the back-end for content interaction and content store respectively. If that is the case, would UCM be of better use when it has a better interface and integration into Windows OS's and MS Office Applications? Google 'CollabPoint' a solution built on UCM. Also have a look at Oracle UCM's Desktop Integration Suite - available as part of the UCM license. Let me know what you think.

12. jpv

jpv Active Member

Thank you for the advice, sadly we do not have the option of throwing any one of these products out. One part of the group is using Sharepoint and one part is using UCM. We need the products to integrate, now it is just a question of which product to use as the backing content store. We prefer UCM so once the integration is working we can try to convince the rest of the group to gradually switch to UCM but that is a completely different story.

13. bveasey

bveasey Active Member

Many companies prefer the Sharepoint option, because the interface is very familiar to the users.

14. jason_m_Longoria

jason_m_Longoria Active Member

I am currently designing that architecture that you are describing, however there are some settle newcomers to the table, 1. is that we are a URM/FussionWare as well as Oracle DB's that run the back end of the shop so we are going to be doing the manage in place method as opposed to storing everything in URM/UCM ect... For obvious reasons mentioned above. So if I were you I would look at federating the master as oracle and the proxy as Sharepoint. BUILD AND ESB for content solely! Now keep in mind this is going to require some extremely elegant developers. as well as webparts maintenance. If you would like I can share with you the problems that we encounter. If any... lol...

If you have any other questions please feel free to post. Right here... this may become someones wiki!

Thanks
    Jason M Longoria

Sadik likes this.
  15. jason_m_Longoria

I don't think that's the overall solution either, you are always going to have incompatibility as well as interoperability issues that will surface very early on. So again I would not looking at convincing, we know two things oracle is a far superior back end product than Microsoft will every be, Sorry... lol.... but on the same note Oracle will never have the user base that Microsoft has, its nearly integrated into every office environment.

16. jason_m_Longoria

I think as technologists we neglect that there is a business force behind it, I know I certainly do! And as I have mentioned below we know that both have equal value both to the business as well as the end user.

17. jason_m_Longoria

We are actually doing the integration! I am documenting all of our success and failures. Ill share the info as soon as I get it all compiled.... if you have any questions I can certainly try my best to answer them.

Thanks
    Jason

18. guptaashu81

guptaashu81 Active Member

Hi ,

Can you please share the document on UCM and sharepoint integration.
    UCM as Backend for content repository and sharepoint for portal design.
    How this scenrio can be implemented ?

19. STuartGW

STuartGW Guest

Hi Jason,
    I would also be interested to hear how it goes/went as we are considering the same approach (for similar reasons).
    Cheers, Stuart

20. loureirog

loureirog Guest

Hi Jason,

Also interessted in read your history!

Thanks, regards.