1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Oracle DBA Tools

Discussion in 'Server Administration and Options' started by Julian, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Julian

Julian Forum Advisor

The job of the Oracle DBA is not an easy one. There are several aspects to the job and it takes skill and knowledge to now how to implement security, ensure the database is performing at its best, and to implement networking and monitor several aspects of the database at the same time.
    Fortunately, there are a number of tools which assist in this task. A few of these are described below:

I am going to discuss some tools available with a product called Aqua Data Studio, which I am quite accustomed with:

Instance Manager :

[​IMG]

The Instance Manager, as the name suggests, allows the user to view and modify each instance in use on the database. This is achieved by changing the server parameters, and thus the operation of each instance on the database.

The tool provides the user with the ability to monitor the up/down times of the server, how long the server has been running, set the archiving log and a host of other useful facilities for instance management.

Storage Manager :

[​IMG]

The Storage manager provides the user with the ability to see what is happening in the database, both visually and in figures, from a storage perspective. This means the DBA can take action when, for instance the database is running out of space or changed to enhance performance generally.

The Storage Manager allows a visual method of maintaining Oracle tablespaces and the data files associated with the database. However, the tool is also used to monitor objects in the database, such as stored procedures. It also monitors file IO statistics.

Objects can be viewed in a tree-like form for easy viewing of the general state of the database storage.

Rollback Manager :

[​IMG]

When a user performs a query taking several hours and makes use of several tables on the database, the memory utilised is called the rollback space. This space is “borrowed” while the query is running. The job of the rollback space is to monitor the tasks undertaken and store the states of data before it is modified. If a query is cancelled the data is effectively “rolled back” to a previous state and value.

The Rollback Manager Tool provides for the monitoring of the rollback segments. This also includes monitoring transactions and execution plans.
    Rollback segments can be created, deleted and amended. They can also be allocated to specific tables and queries. This tool allows the DBA control of all activities to do with rollback segments.

Log Manager :

[​IMG]

The job of the log manager is to provide the DBA with an easy method of managing the Redo Logs and Archive Logs. These logs can be created and monitored as required.

The purpose of the redo log is to store the state of a datafile prior to any changes being made. It is in effect a backup of the data prior to amendments being made.

The archive log (if run in this mode), ensures that non of the redo logs are overwritten as it cycles through the process. This ensures that all redo logs are available when they are required.

The Log Manager allows the DBA to create and drop redo log groups. Log groups can also be edited and amended according to requirements. Similar facilities exist for the management of archives within this tool.

Security Manager :

[​IMG]

This tool provides the DBA with the manageability of users, roles and profiles, allowing the user to manage permissions, roles and security of the Oracle database.

This tool provides the DBA with the ability to create user roles and permission to perform operations in the database such as SELECT, INSERT, DELETE and DROP commands.

It provides a convenient and useful alternative to managing users via the command line.

This tool provides manageability of database sessions, including user and system locks. Allowing the user to kill/disconnect sessions, start traces and monitor open cursors and user queries with execution plans.

The session manager allows the DBA to keep a close eye on currently operating sessions. It is useful so the DBA can investigate sessions which are hogging the CPU or memory i.e. when users have written a badly piece of SQL with a Cartesian product e.g. with a join missing it can sometimes take all the processing power. With the session manger the DBA can terminate the session to prevent problems with other processes and sessions.

2. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

Excellent Post.. Julian..

3. sameer

sameer Forum Advisor

Hi Julian, thanks for the informative post. I have never tried Aqua Data Studio, is it proprietery software? or available free to download?

4. Julian

Julian Forum Advisor

I don't quite remember, but i think it's available to download for evaluation, just Google it! :D

5. ayas313

ayas313 Guest

great julian. very much informative. thanks

6. Julian

Julian Forum Advisor

thanks ayas

u r most welcome :)

7. mirza

mirza Active Member

From where I can download the same??

8. tyro

tyro Forum Genius

Hi if you have TOAD i feel it's a better tool.

But if you wanna check out Aqua Data studio, the link is

http://www.aquafold.com/

9. mirza

mirza Active Member

Any freeware is there?
    Or I have to purchase the same..

Thanks

10. tyro

tyro Forum Genius