1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Oracle DBA interview Questions - Any good book available?

Discussion in 'Interview Discussions' started by docora, Aug 23, 2012.

1. docora

docora Active Member

Hi Friends,

Nowadays, I have been appearing technical Oracle DBA job interviews. I faced 2 interviews before one week back. Too many tricky dba interview questions asked including some real time scenario based which I didn't face situation any time during my career. I have 2 years experience but I failed to clear past interviews. I tried to find out dba interview questions from web, but all are very old questions and answers. Some of those articles contain in-appropriate answers. Is there any good book available for Oracle DBA interview questions which cover all kind of tricky and hard questions with detail answers? I want to buy this book at any cost for preparing new interview. Thanks a ton in advance for any good suggestion.

2. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

No. The interview process isn't to see who can memorize canned answers from websites/blogs/email chains/etc., it's to sort out those who possess the proper level of experience for the position. It is indeed unfortunate for you that your two years of experience wasn't sufficient for the positions you've interviewed for however the companies offering these positions have valuable data in production databases that need proper administration by an experienced Oracle DBA. Keep trying, you will find a position that suits your experience and will allow you to gain more so better jobs will be available to you. Cheating by memorizing answers may get you past the interview process but won't impart a deep understanding of the problem/solution and should such a scenario play out in real life you will be unprepared to address it. People have lost jobs in such a way.

3. kimipatel

kimipatel Active Member

Hi docora,

As David said, there is no complete book available for same. Every time dba interview questions could be changed as per requirement of interviewer company.As per my suggestion, check Gitesh Trivedi's Oracle DBA Interview Questions book from kendba.com. I bought same 4th edition of same book which contains all versions of Oracle including all kind of tricky and real time scenario based questions and answers. It is very useful to me for clearing technical Oracle dba job interview. This book could help us lot for preparing and understanding hard queries.

You can find out more detail from following link

http://www.kendba.com/books/interview-questions-books/

There is another book is available at oracookbook which is very older and publication date is 2006.

http://www.infibeam.com/Books/info/...ions-Answers-and-Explanations/1933804262.html

Wish you all the best.

4. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

Memorizing someone else's idea of what a good answer to a question is doesn't do anyone any good except the author of the book as it puts money in his or her bank account. Nothing compares to experience and rote answers to interview questions won't help the newly hired DBA when a problem arises that was not the subject of an interview question or one of the asked situations DOES arise but all the DBA has to fall back on is the memorized answer found in some book or on some website. No situation is ever exactly like the one in an interview question; thought is required to solve problems and rote responses won't do.

I truly believe suggesting such texts is a disservice to the candidate and disrepects the potential employer.

My two cents.

5. docora

docora Active Member

Hi David and Kimipatel,

Thanks for nice advice and suggestions. David, appreciate to sharing wonderful suggestion. You are right nothing compares to experience. Thanks for Kimipatel for sharing such nice books.

I agreed with David that memorizing answer is one kind of cheating. Nobody can survive after getting this kind of job because when in real time if we would encounter with any issue then we might be not able to resolve using this kind of trick. But for preparing for technical interviews we cannot refer whole books of every versions. Because number of times we forgot theoretical topics due to daily workload. I think interview questions would be handy book as quick learning guide. We can use this kind of book for quick refreshing all features and all version of Oracle within short period. For understanding some kind of tricky questions, it is useful. It is just like question-answers of chapter of any book. We need to read full chapter but we also need to quick look of exercise of same chapter too for understanding better chapter's logic. This is only my own thinking.

I would buy this kind of Oracle DBA interview questions book for quick ready learning guide. Let's see how is it useful!!

Thanks a lot for sharing and suggesting.

6. erp.narendrag

erp.narendrag Forum Expert

7. Kusal

Kusal Starter

Do not purchase. Its a waste book. It has 400 questions as said, But no explanation, No Oracle version name mentioned for any question, Its just 108 pages small book which which looks like pirated novels that you get on footpath. It is advertised as questions with real time scenario based, I can say 30+ out of 400 questions. The Book cost is 2300/-rs but it is not even worth 200/-rs, I bet if you look for the answers for these questions online you will get more and even more questions.

FYI - I purchased 5th edition and completed the book in one day. You can understand how much frustrated I am for paying 2300 rs for this waste book.

Funny part is end of the book, you will have all links mentioned as useful resources which any Oracle DBA frequently visits and does not need a note. Its all Advertisement book.