1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Oracle database working fine, then sudden listener and network adapter problems?

Discussion in 'Server Administration and Options' started by mst3k, Jul 3, 2013.

1. mst3k

mst3k Guest

This is hopefully an easy question for someone who knows what they're doing, I have been an Oracle SQL user at work for about 5 years but I don't know much about DBA stuff. I installed Oracle 11g on my home machine off Oracle's website, and miraculously managed to google enough stuff to figure out how to get it up and running and create an account and add tablespaces, etc.
    The database worked totally fine for probably 3 or 4 months. Out of the blue, one day I tried to connect in SQL Developer and got an error about the listener, I think about the SID not being found. I tried for a few hours with google to fix the problem, but probably made it worse. Then I tried to uninstall and reinstall Oracle.. it made me do it from the command prompt, and I'm really not sure if it worked or what happened. I think it worked though because the file folder with the data files for the tablespaces looks to be reset to default, my named datafiles are gone.
    I still can't connect even after trying to use Net Configuration assistant to set up the listener. My error is also different now, I get a plain old "Network adaptor could not establish the connection", so I'm not sure how many parts I broke.
    Could anyone please tell me how to connect to my database again, and how this happened in the first place? I would greatly appreciate it!! :hurray

I'll post my listener.ora and tnsnames.ora files below. My SQL Developer is set up to connect to port: 1521, host: localhost, SID: ORCL . Those parameters are arbitrary, I can change them to whatever is necessary I just want to be able to connect again
    I tried playing with values in these files manually but nothing worked, that's when I tried to reinstall Oracle but I'm not sure if I succeeded or not. Anyways here are the current files:

2. prashant

prashant Forum Advisor

New Delhi, India
    Standalone Installation can be broken into 3 parts at high level:-

a) Oracle Software Installation
    b) Oracle Database Creation
    c) Oracle NET Configuration

Based on the details provided, it is very difficult to judge what the current status of your installation is.

1. You should first try to connect and use the database without the listener on your home PC. You need to get the ORCL service started and ensure proper ENV variables like ORACLE_BASE, ORACLE_HOME, ORACLE_SID etc. are set. In case you are stuck at this step, you can use DBCA(database configuration Assistant) GUI to check/fix.

2. Review Listener.ora and check if DBListener service is running.
    3. Review tnsnames.ora or connection properties of the GUI tool that is being used.

Sadik likes this.