1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Oracle Database Rule Engine

Discussion in 'General' started by kashif, Mar 15, 2011.

1. kashif

kashif Active Member

Hello ,

I am running Oracle XE . This database collects information about server statistics in my organization ( memory usage, threads running, etc). Now , I need to send alert/ notification emails if the certain thresholds are crossed by server ( ex: if number of threads increase more than 100, send an alert email).

One way to do this is to write stored procedures and schedule them to run every hour and send alert email if conditions are met.

But what I want to do is to use some sort of rule engine where I can specify the rules/conditions which have to be true for alerts to be sent. The reason I want this approach is so that every time there is a new rule, I do not have to write a new stored procedure and I can just specify the condition in the rule engine .

So are there any Rule Engines out there that I can use (preferably open source and free to use)?

2. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

Your best bet is to use Oracle Enterprise Manager for such tasks. One question I have is why is an organization/enterprise using XE rather than Standard Edition?

3. kashif

kashif Active Member

Oracle Enterprise Manager is not free to download, is it?

4. zargon

5. kashif

kashif Active Member

Thanks David.
    Also the website lists 2 things, One is Grid Control Release and other is Mass Deployment.
    Do I download both or which one?

6. zargon

How many databases are you monitoring? I thought just the one so I see no reason to download the mass agent deployment app.

7. kashif

kashif Active Member

yea its just one

8. kashif

kashif Active Member

I checked with my manager and he says that we need something open source. Any ideas please?

9. zargon

Why open source?

10. kashif

kashif Active Member

My boss wants it ... he says we cant put Oracle Enterprise manager on the production server.

11. zargon

You don't NEED it on the production server, you need it on a secondary server somewhere that can access the production server. Your manager needs to provide real, concrete reasons why OEM won't work for you, rather than use buzz phrases like 'open source' and obscure responses like 'we cant put Oracle Enterprise manager on the production server'.

12. pagilan

pagilan Active Member

Had similar requirement in past, and contributed one for free in Toad World - Search by Log4J / Rules Engine

13. pagilan

pagilan Active Member

I had similar requirement and built one. Contributed to Toad World, go to toad world and search for Rules Engine or Log4J