1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Oracle database is running fine - email message ; turn off

Discussion in 'Server Administration and Options' started by Prabu, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Prabu

Prabu Starter

Hi Friends, Can you please help me to answer this question.

If your boss comes to you with an email that is showing up every two minutes saying the, “Oracle Database is running fine, ” from: Linux1@systems1.com and he asks you to turn off the this email message,

how would you determine what Linux automation service/script is causing this?
    What message should your boss be receiving instead?

2. ocprep

ocprep Forum Advisor

My first suspicion would be that it is malignant... but that's because being paranoid about unsolicited emails is generally a good idea. Digging deeper into the message header (i.e. the routing information that isn't going to be displayed in your email program), may help to trace where the email originated. If it originated from an IP address outside your company, it's a good bet that the email is some kind of attack/harassment. If the IP is inside your company, you should at least be able to trace which computer it is. Than you'd need to diagnose further on that machine -- possible looking at the sendmail logs (assuming the server is Linux and uses sendmail).

3. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

I too often see DBAs coding such 'success' messages in scripts that check to see if the database is up and available; since this message is received every two minutes I'd suspect it's part of a cron job that runs the 'suspect' script. Find this job, find the script and edit out the 'success' message. You should only be receiving email notifications on errors (when the database is NOT 'running fine'). That should correct this 'problem'.