1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Oracle Custom Applications

Discussion in 'Other Development Tools' started by ac.arijit, Feb 7, 2013.

1. ac.arijit

ac.arijit Forum Advisor

Hi guyz,

Needed to ask whether is it possible to build Oracle custom applications without Oracle EBS(apps). I mean if only we've got the following:
    1. Oracle Database 11g
    2. Oracle Dev_Suite 11g
    etc etc .. may be something i dunno.
    ... based on this is it possible to design & deploy any user applications?

I know this sounds stupid(as i'm saying deploy, but deploy where? which environment).. that's what is the question here.. without the EBS can we implement something for the users in any other environment(i've heard of something like this) .. but not sure about it. Plz confirm ..

2. ac.arijit

ac.arijit Forum Advisor

Hi,
    This is what David replied:

3. ac.arijit

ac.arijit Forum Advisor

Hi David!

Yeah i realize that i need to consider a lot before taking this on. So, i got a fortnights time as notice period, so got some time to do RnD on this environment. I'm not taking any final call on it impulsively.

I got u somewhat, but more on a theoretical perspective. I believe your reply focused mainly on the architecture of the application development environment. Now, given we've developed an application with the D2k model view, how would we be deploying it and where? so that the end-user may access it(the same way how in EBS, users did) ... that's what i'm more perplexed on right now.

*You mentioned the front-end design on Java program, even that can be done. But suppose, i've got a d2k model form ready with me and also a report rdf. Now whats the go-ahead?

4. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

Is this a web-based app or is it locally installed? The answer to that provides a lot of information about how you go about deploying it.

5. ac.arijit

ac.arijit Forum Advisor

Hi David!

That is what i urge to know. I mean, if i say it is locally installed. Then what all tools and softwares do i need to create an app(GUI)?

6. DTSIGuy

DTSIGuy Forum Advisor

It looks as if there's more than a little confusion between your development environment and the run-time environment. Those are not necessarily the same. Have you read the installation instructions for the database? Of the 11g Dev Suite itself? Of setting up an App Server? The installation and configuration of the WebLogic Server? I know it's a LOT of reading but this isn't something you can shortcut.

7. ac.arijit

ac.arijit Forum Advisor

Hi,

I know it'll need some study time of mine. N i'm ready to spend it too, but before i start doing i need to know what exactly shall i be running after. I believe doing RnD without having any idea about the end-result is stupidity. So, all i wanna know from u guyz is that, how exactly, can we implement an APP for the user with the provided conditions i mentioned earlier.

*I've mentioned it earlier also that i've got the database and dev_suite, then i believe its clear that i know the installation part. Ok, i've no idea about how to setup an app server, plz guide me in this or may be with a relevant doc (only if not a shortcut).
    Do we need the WebLogic server here in this context? (I dunno, plz clarify..)

8. DTSIGuy

DTSIGuy Forum Advisor

As I understand it, the Forms runtime engine requires the WebLogic server (or its older cousins) to be installed and configured in order for the form itself to be rendered within the browser session on the client PC. I don't believe there is anything that you have to do on the Forms development side to enable that. But you do need an AppServer installed and configured...whether that's on the Database server itself or on a separate box is entirely up to you. The sizing of the architecture and your budget typically determines that.

You develop the Form(s) themselves on the PC client within the 11g DevSuite. Last version I played with, the Forms tool was capable of opening the form in the browser in a runtime environment via OC4J (??)...locally only...so you could test the form prior to pushing the source code up to the application server. If all you need to do is run the form(s) from within the development tool itself...then I suppose you could do that but it leaves the source wide open to whomever is running it.

9. ac.arijit

ac.arijit Forum Advisor

Hey, (whats your name? i can't call u DTSIGuy :D LOL)

Thanks for the response. Even i'd also thought of something sort of this only, as per my RnD till now. I got it clearly, how to setup an app server. But now i got only 1 question left..
    How r we gonna deploy it in the App Server? (As Application Developer responsibility is part of the EBS suite i believe, correct me if wrong).

10. DTSIGuy

DTSIGuy Forum Advisor

You deploy by placing the compiled object in the Forms Home directory on the App Server. That directory is identified during the installation/configuration of the server itself. All the Forms go in one directory, Libraried go to another, Message files (if you use them) go someplace else.

HTH

CJ aka DTSIGuy

11. ac.arijit

ac.arijit Forum Advisor

Hey CJ,

Din't get u properly,
    For E.g: ? .. can u please be a li'l more specific?
    I believe as EBS is not there, so the APPL_TOP also may not be consisting all the application tops like PO,FND,AR etc. So, where r u gonna place the compiled files? and don'we need 2 register the files anywhere (the way we did in Application Developer)? .. and when the user will login, what'll he/she perceive as their Home?

12. DTSIGuy

DTSIGuy Forum Advisor

The lack of EBS on the server only means that APPL_TOP is not defined. The same goes for PO, FND, AR and the like as those tops would be meaningless w/o EBS installed. However, you still have an Application Server where the Forms runtime engine should be installed. WebLogic can't serve up a Form (or anything else) if it's not available on the server. THAT home location should be readily identifiable and available to your development team. What path that will be depends on the OS running and how you configured everything.
    As for your last question...that based entirely upon your design.

13. ac.arijit

ac.arijit Forum Advisor

Hey CJ,

So, before i start with my RnD, i wanna have 1 confirmation from u.
    Whatever we discussed above, is it all consisted in the AS configuration? .. I mean, if i do RnD on the AS docs installation and configuration. Will it be enough or can u refer something else also.

14. DTSIGuy

DTSIGuy Forum Advisor

Everything is in the installation/configuration documentation...if/when you run into a rough patch where something just isn't working...then you tap Oracle Support with the specific issue. Don't forget to install the plethora of patches for all the products though.

ac.arijit likes this.
  15. shreya92

shreya92 Active Member

ROLTA offers a vast portfolio of offerings spanning the complete life cycle of Oracle Enterprise Solutions.
    ROLTA’s comprehensive, proven solutions help you ensure your critical applications remain up and running. Whatever be your requirements from Oracle, ROLTA will address the challenge of your complex systems whilst maximizing the financial return on your investment.
    check :rolta.com/services/oracle-applications/