1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

oracle apps instances

Discussion in 'Oracle Financials' started by sravan.kaurn, Jul 18, 2014.

1. sravan.kaurn

sravan.kaurn Active Member

Dear Friends,

what are Different Instances In Oracle Apps, and Ways we are using Them ? can anyone post me

Thanks & Regds,
    sravan

2. rajenb

rajenb Forum Expert

Hi Sravan.

Technically speaking, when an Oracle database is created and started, it kicks off several background processes that Oracle needs to perform certain functions, like SMON, PMON, LGWR, and DBWR. The collection of allocated memory and the running processes on the server is called an "instance".

In Oracle Apps. world, when we refer to an "instance", it's usually an address (url/link) for a location where Applications database is stored and we often provide a "descriptive" (self-explanatory) name to the "instance" which tells us what type of environment or database it is, like "Vision", "CRP1", "CRP2", "TEST", "UAT"... instance.

Have a look at this article for more details:
    http://erpschools.com/uncategorized/oracle-instances-vision-development-test-production

3. sravan.kaurn

sravan.kaurn Active Member

here my doubt is how can we transfer files from dev instance to testing or production instance?

4. DTSIGuy

DTSIGuy Forum Advisor

That depends entirely on the type of file(s) in question.

If you're talking about migrating CODE from one instance to another then your CM process should be explicitly defining how to do that. Be it simple FTP process or you could use a Migration facility such as HP's PPM or Oracle's add-on to the Enterprise Manager. You can even 'sneaker-net' it if you really wanted to.

But...your question is still rather vague. You might try giving us the technical requirement that you're trying to satisfy.

HTH

CJ

5. rajenb

rajenb Forum Expert

100% with you CJ.

Sravan,
    As the title of your post is on "Oracle apps instances", I suppose the files are somehow linked to the application and I have the same questions as CJ.

Are these "Custom developments" or "extensions" (in Oracle apps terminology) you are referring to ?