1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Oracle Acquires Sun

Discussion in 'Coffee Corner' started by Sadik, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

For those of us who follow this kind of new very closely, it's become almost a habit waking up in the morning and learning that Oracle has just acquired some "other" company. But this time the news is bigger, because this is not just any other company, this is SUN. For those who aren't too much familiar with the name SUN, it is the company behind the Java platform. We all have the Java Runtime Environment installed on our computers. Imagine the Web without Java. But SUN was best known for it's enterprise servers and Workstations, most notably it's Solaris powered server Boxes.

Visit SUN's Wikipedia page for more information: SUN Microsystems

Now if you have some interest in Oracle's Acquisitions, you would know that Oracle had bid not once, twice but three times for the Open Source, Completely Free Database Solution MySQL. Last year SUN had acquired MySQL for $1 Billion. How is this related, you may ask? In my opinion this is highly relevant. The Internet today is more than 70% powered by what we call LAMP Boxes. That's Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP. Interestingly all of them are open source, and all of them are FREE. Now Free is not an Oracle Keyword. Free is not a word you would remotely associate with Oracle. The purists may argue that Oracle's acquisition of SUN is for it's enterprise hardware market share but I believe that MySQL is a huge part of the picture.

It is no untruth that internet based applications are where a large part of the future market is located. So what are oracle's plans with this huge and evolving market? I wouldn't be too surprised if MySQL does not remain Free and open source in not so distant future. So websites, like this and millions of others might just have to pay that annual subscription to Oracle that our employers are currently paying.

We should also not miss another, albeit smaller, part of the picture. Has anyone heard about Open Office. Open Office was acquired by SUN in 1999 and albeit a very small, but it is the only competitor of Microsoft Office....

Now now.. has that got you thinking about whom Oracle might be acquiring next?

2. shabbirbhimani

shabbirbhimani Active Member

Even MySQL is Owned by Sun and so it would be an interesting stuff to see what happens to MySQL when it is owned by Oracle

3. simply_dba

simply_dba Forum Advisor

I believe the MySQL and OpenOffice will continue to be open sourced. Although it's support will be more like a business process.
    I also believe that this aquisition was to complete the chain
    Oracle Apps-SUN Fire -SUN Solaris
    as opposed to
    SAP- IBM- AIX

4. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

yes perhaps you are right from what i have been reading, but i have concerns regarding future development and direction of MySQL specially, since honestly it's such a great product.